Assistant/Associate/Full Professor Tenure System
The Department of Physics & Astronomy at Michigan State University (MSU) invites applications from outstanding candidates for a tenure-system faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor. Candidates should demonstrate the potential to lead an independent and world-class research program in the broad field of Condensed Matter Theory. Topics of interest, listed in no specific order, include topological and quantum materials, quantum dynamics and coherent control, solid-state-based quantum information, light-induced phase transitions, non-equilibrium many-body physics and statistical mechanics, as well as optical and electronic properties of materials. MSU has a long tradition of excellence in these research areas and offers attractive opportunities of collaboration across campus with strong groups in Theoretical Nuclear Physics, Mathematics, Computational Sciences, and Quantum Information Sciences. Candidates must hold a Ph.D. in physics or closely related areas and are expected to build and maintain a sustainable, equitable, and diverse research environment, make significant scholarly contributions, be effective as teachers and mentors, and engage in institutional and professional service.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Doctorate -physics or closely related areas
Candidates must hold a Ph.D. in physics or closely related areas and are expected to build and maintain a sustainable, equitable, and diverse research environment, make significant scholarly contributions, be effective as teachers and mentors, and engage in institutional and professional service.
Required Application Materials
This position is listed on the MSU Applicant Page (https://jobs.msu.edu), posting 816667. Applications should be uploaded to MSU’s online job application site, https://jobs.msu.edu, and should include in a single pdf file:
- A cover letter that frames your application in the context of this position description
- A CV, which may include a list of publications, accepted proposals for funding/resources, contributed and invited talks, teaching and mentoring roles, leadership positions, contributions to the academic community, and efforts in public outreach.
- A statement highlighting past research successes and future research interests and plans for developing a sustainable research group. This statement should describe any collaborative and interdisciplinary research efforts and specify which lead-author publication the applicant would like the search committee to read. Please also include descriptions of the applicant's past, if applicable, and planned commitment to promoting diversity, inclusion, and equity in research. The research statement should not exceed four pages.
- A teaching statement describing the applicant’s plan to, and experience with, classroom teaching and mentoring in research, including teaching and mentoring students from diverse demographic and social backgrounds. The teaching statement should not exceed two pages.
- Name, telephone, address, and email of three references to provide letters upon request
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
The selection process will begin on December 12th, 2022, and the review of applications will continue until the position is filled. Questions regarding this position may be directed to Prof. Carlo Piermarocchi (email@example.com).
We actively encourage applications from women, persons of color, veterans, and persons with disabilities. We endeavor to facilitate employment assistance to spouses or partners of candidates for faculty and academic staff positions. MSU is proactive in exploring opportunities for employment for dual-career couples, both inside and outside the University (see https://worklife.msu.edu/dual-career). MSU is an affirmative-action, equal-opportunity employer committed to achieving excellence through diversity.
Review of Applications Begins On
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.