Inst/Ast Prof - Fixed Term
Back to search results
Job no: 911015
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Natural Science
Integrative Biology 10032920
FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Education/Training, Research/Scientific, Fixed Term Faculty, Full Time (90-100%), Non-Union
Inst/Ast Prof - Fixed Term
The Department of Integrative Biology at Michigan State University invites applications for a full-time, 9-month, fixed-term instructor position commencing on August 16, 2024. The initial appointment is for one year, with the expectation of extension contingent upon satisfactory performance and continued funding. The selected candidate will play a key role in delivering Integrative Biology 341: Fundamental Genetics, alongside a dedicated team of faculty and graduate teaching assistants. In addition, the candidate will be required to teach at least one other core Integrative Biology course (as detailed below). The selected candidate will also actively participate in collaborative endeavors with faculty members engaged in enhancing undergraduate STEM education at MSU.
Core Courses Overview:
- Fundamental Genetics: Covers prokaryotic and eukaryotic genetics, genome biology, population and evolutionary genetics, and modern biotechnologies and genomics applications.
- Evolution: Explores evolutionary processes in animals, plants, and microbes, encompassing population genetics, microevolution, speciation, adaptive radiation, macroevolution, and the origins of Homo sapiens.
- Ecology: Delves into the interrelationships of organisms with their environment, addressing principles of population, community, and ecosystem ecology, and their relevance to global sustainability.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
- Ph.D. (ABD considered*) in biology or a related field.
- Undergraduate teaching experience.
- Commitment to fostering student success and inclusivity in a diverse learning environment.
- Proficiency in student-centered, active, and inquiry-based learning methodologies.
- Experience in student learning assessment.
- Dedication to professional development.
- Excellent collaboration and interpersonal communication skills.
*Note: To be appointed at the rank of Instructor, candidates must have achieved at least ABD status. For the rank of Assistant Professor (fixed-term), a Ph.D. must be earned prior to the appointment start date.
- Experience in upper-level undergraduate teaching, instructional technology, and online learning.
- Engagement in collaborative instruction, such as co-instruction, group curriculum, or assessment design projects.
- Experience in handling large classes.
Required Application Materials
Applicants are to submit the following documents in a single PDF:
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover Letter (max. 2 pages) detailing your background in genetics, ecology, evolution, teaching experience, and professional development activities.
- DEI Statement (1 page) summarizing your past or intended contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives in teaching.
- Assessment Example (max. 1 page) showcasing a genetics assessment with the associated learning objective.
- Description of Student-centered Teaching Methods and Collaborative Work (max. 2 pages) indicating your utilization of student-centered teaching methods and collaborative work experiences.
- Contact information for three professional references (references will be contacted during the screening process).
For inquiries regarding the position, please contact Jason Gallant, Associate Professor of Integrative Biology and Chair of the Search Committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review of Applications Begins On
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend