Specialist - Teacher-Continuing
Back to search results
Job no: 815312
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Natural Science
Statistics & Probability 10032798
FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Education/Training, Continuing System Academic Staff, Full Time (90-100%), Non-Union
The Department of Statistics and Probability at Michigan State University invites applications for the position of teaching academic specialist in the continuing system with anticipated start date of August 16, 2023. This is an academic year (9 month) position, with likely opportunities for summer teaching if desired. The Department seeks candidates whose teaching, service, or other experience has prepared them to contribute to creating inclusive learning spaces for a diverse group of students. The successful candidate will work with colleagues to develop, coordinate, and teach statistics and data science courses for thousands of undergraduate students, joining a vibrant, diverse, and supportive group of faculty members focused on instructional excellence in statistics and data science. In addition to resources local to the Department of Statistics and Probability, Michigan State University provides an excellent environment for teaching innovation, including the highly-ranked Program in Mathematics Education and faculty groups in the Department of Mathematics and the Department of Computational Mathematics, Science, and Engineering.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Masters -Statistics, Mathematics or closely related
We seek candidates with:
- A master’s or doctoral degree in statistics, mathematics, or a related field;
- knowledge of or experience with student-centered pedagogical methods;
- experience with or a commitment to cultivating equitable and inclusive learning environments;
- experience teaching statistics and/or data science to undergraduate learners either with full responsibility for courses or as a teaching assistant;
- demonstrated experience with or commitment to learning and growing as an instructor;
- experience using R or Python either in teaching or to support work in statistics and/or data science.
Desirable but not required are:
- Experience or demonstrated interest in teaching both in-person and online courses, and
- Experience or demonstrated interest in teaching in large-enrollment courses.
Required Application Materials
Candidates should submit an application for this position which will include:
- a CV which at a minimum includes data on academic degrees you have earned, work experience that is relevant to the position, and your experience using R or Python (and other programming languages as relevant),
- a letter of application which describes how you could contribute to the educational mission in statistics and data science at Michigan State University,
- the names and contact information for three references who can attest to strengths in classroom instruction,
- a list of courses taught (using the link at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gYSezYIKhpPDATO1392FSKZTS9UfsxMWzjtSYDTNa6M/copy#gid=0), and
- a teaching statement of at most four pages which:
- describes how consideration of diversity and inclusion has shaped your teaching practice;
- describes how you have used, or would plan to implement, pedagogical methods that are student-centered and promote active learning; and
- describes an experience where you evaluated the efficacy of your own teaching practice, including how you collaborated with colleagues in this effort.
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
Candidates only need to submit names and contact info of three references while completing the application. Letters of recommendation will be required prior to the interview phase in the application process.
Review of Applications Begins On
Together We Will Statement: Michigan State University requires all MSU students, faculty, and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at https://msu.edu/together-we-will
The evaluation process will begin on Nand review of applications will continue until the position is filled. Questions may be directed to the chair of the search committee, Prof. Vince Melfi (email@example.com).
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend