Specialist - Outreach-Fixed Term
Back to search results
Job no: 922229
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Arts And Letters
Al Undergraduate Affairs 40000804
FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
59000-79000 Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Student Services/Student Affairs, Fixed Term Academic Staff, Full Time (90-100%), Union
Director of Recruitment
- In collaboration with the Assistant and Associate Dean for Undergraduate Studies as well as Chairs and Directors, develop a robust recruitment strategy for the College that is aligned with the College and MSU strategic plans as well as the Charting Pathways of Intellectual Leadership initiative.
- Lead the planning and implementation of campus programs aimed at the recruitment of prospective students including Green and White Days, Alumni Distinguished Scholarship days, College Visit Days, Spartan Club, college fairs, high school visits and other University recruitment functions. This will include the creation of new in person and virtual programming designed to attract and retain a diverse student population in college majors following the College’s Strategic Plan and Charting Pathways of Intellectual Leadership initiative. Work with the relevant key functional team members and others in the Office of Undergraduate Studies.
- Manage recruitment budget in consultation with Assistant Dean.
- Work with College units and the Office of Admission on recruitment of new students. This will include significant travel.
- Organize and develop recruitment events such as prospective student visits, including communications with prospective departments and programs, and visit days at the College level.
- Organize the College Colloquium Day in the fall.
- Coordinate all admitted student communication and yield activities. Work closely with the Marketing and Communications team.
- Assist with pre-college programs, including bridge summer programs, and general administrative responsibilities.
- Participate in appropriate professional development.
- Teach 1-2 sections of the 1-credit course AL 101 Arts and Letters Freshman Experience per year
- Participate in College and University events such as Commencement, Convocation, New Student Orientation Programs, and other functions.
- Other duties as assigned.
As an institution, our compensation philosophy is to be market competitive and internally equitable. In our budget, we have planned for a salary between $59,000-$79,000 for this position. However, a final determination regarding salary would be made in consideration for the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Masters -Student Affairs, Higher Education, humanities, arts, or liberal arts
- Master's Degree or PhD in Student Affairs, Higher Education, humanities, arts, or liberal arts, required. Well-prepared candidates will have at least 2-5 years of full-time work in advising, student affairs, or a related area. A commitment to student success and experiential education is essential.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities and accomplishments that includes a proactive, data-informed, and values-enacted approach to recruitment that aligns with the College’s Culture of Care initiative.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with Senior Leadership, Academic Advisors, and a diverse student population, faculty, and potential employers.
- Excellent written, oral, and dynamic presentation communication skills are essential. Energetic personality and strong work ethic are necessary.
- Strong organizational skills emphasizing long-term planning and implementation are vital to the applicant's success.
- Technical skills in word-processing, database management, PowerPoint, spreadsheets, and html (web page) composition.
- Commitment to team building, respectful collaboration, self-reflection, student enrichment, and arts/humanities-based engagements with social justice and inclusion.
Required Application Materials
Applicants should submit the following materials to apply for the position:
- cover letter,
- current curriculum vitae,
- A 1-page summary of your philosophy of diversity, equity, and inclusion as it pertains to intellectual leadership in the areas of teaching/curriculum development, research/creative activities, service, outreach, advising, and/or administration. The statement should also include an explanation of related past or planned activities/endeavors as well as how the candidate will advance our goals of inclusive excellence. For more about MSU’s DEI efforts, see https://inclusion.msu.edu/. For more information about writing diversity statements, see https://cal.msu.edu/documents/cal-guidelines-for-the-writing-of-diversity-statements/.
- The names and email addresses of 3 potential referees. Referees will be contacted only for search finalists.
Review of applications will begin on March 15, 2024 and will continue until the position is filled. Applications must be submitted electronically to the Michigan State University Human Resources web site http://careers.msu.edu/. Posting #922229.
For more information, contact Professor Senta Goertler, Search Committee Chair, email@example.com
Persons with disabilities have the right to request and receive reasonable accommodation.
Review of Applications Begins On
The College of Arts & Letters at MSU recognizes that only an academic and organizational culture, which actively seeks out and strengthens diverse voices and perspectives among its members results in true excellence. The College of Arts & Letters is particularly interested in candidates of all backgrounds who are committed to the principle that intellectual leadership is achieved through open access and pro-active inclusion.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend