Specialist - Advisor-Fixed Term
Back to search results
Job no: 890284
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Human Medicine
Cs Mott Department Of Public Health 40001278
FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Categories: Education/Training, Advising/Counseling, Fixed Term Academic Staff, Full Time (90-100%), Non-Union
The Academic Advisor will support MPH students from recruitment through completion of program of study. Will orient students to program requirements, assist them in developing their individualized plans of study, and navigate through the administrative and educational processes needed to succeed in the program (academic advising, course overrides, facilitate faculty/student mentoring process, and more).
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Masters -higher education and adult learning, soc
- The successful candidate will have a master's degree in public health, public health administration, or counseling/advising for graduate students.
- Experience in graduate student advising, especially in an on-line environment are important to be a successful candidate for this position.
- Academic advising for student advancement through the MPH curriculum of 43 credit hours is core to this position.
- Advising students on construction and maintenance of their plan of study from program acceptance through graduation is essential.
- Annual reviews of academic progress with all assigned students, per graduate school requirements, will be conducted.
- Experience working in the academic setting;
- knowledge and/or experience using Desire to Learn (D2L);
- ability to produce professional verbal and written communications;
- excellent interpersonal skills;
- demonstrated organizational skills, with the ability to organize and prioritize work and tasks effectively and efficiently;
- experience with multimedia tools, including other emerging technologies related to delivery of interactive content over the internet and via learning management systems;
- ability to work well in a team environment;
- ability to work independently and exercise good judgment;
- ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, faculty, and staff and foster and nurture a positive team attitude.
- Background in health sciences/public health desired, but not required.
- The ability to query and display data is desired.
- A Master's degree in advising/counseling is desired, but not required.
Required Application Materials
- Letter of Interest
- Curriculum Vitae
- (2) Reference Letters
Review of Applications Begins On
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend