Research Associate-Fixed Term
Back to search results
Job no: 869272
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Agriculture And Nat Resources
Agricultural Food And Resource Economics 10002036
FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Agriculture, Research/Scientific, Fixed Term Academic Staff, Full Time (90-100%), Non-Union
The Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics at Michigan State University is seeking a highly motivated and skilled postdoctoral research associate to join our research team. The successful candidate will contribute to the design and implementation of research projects focusing on how consumers make food choices and how these choices impact the food system, supply chains and food policy. Examples of projects include a recently funded USDA-NIFA-AFRI project MealClicks: Tracking consumer preferences and demand for food consumed away from home ordered online. This project is a collaboration between Michigan State University (director: dr. Vincenzina Caputo) and Wageningen University (co-director: dr. Ellen Van Loo).
- Conduct literature reviews and analyze existing data to identify knowledge gaps and research opportunities
- Design and implement consumer research studies including surveys and economic experiments
- Perform analysis of food choice data using various multiple econometric methods including discrete choice models, basket-based models, and demand system analysis
- Prepare manuscripts for peer-reviewed journals and present research findings at academic conferences and stakeholder events
- Contribute to grant writing to support research efforts and assist in project management
A competitive salary, benefits, and travel/educational opportunities are offered. The appointment is for one academic year, renewable for two additional academic years, conditional on performance and mutual interest. The anticipated start date is August 15, 2023 (negotiable).
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Doctorate -Agricultural economics or related field
- PhD in agricultural economics or related field. (Applicants at the final phase of finishing their PhD are also encouraged to apply)
- Scholarly interest in consumer food research, food marketing, experimental and behavioral economics, and/or food policy preferred
- Experience in designing and conducting consumer research using survey-based studies and economic experiments
- Excellent verbal, communication and writing skills
- Ability to work effectively with other scholars, stakeholders and students
- Ambition to publish in leading scientific journals
Required Application Materials
1) A statement of research interest
2) A curriculum vitae
3) A research sample (published paper or job market paper)
4) The names and contact information of three references
Review of applications will begin June 15, 2023 and will continue until a suitable candidate is selected. If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Vincenzina Caputo, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review of Applications Begins On
Michigan State University is the pioneer Land Grant University, and the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources is a national leader in agricultural research and extension programming. The Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics, one of the leading applied economics departments in the U.S., is ranked in the top five for research in agricultural economics by RePEc and has 35 tenure system faculty, 44 fixed term faculty, 65 graduate students, and 500 undergraduate students (with majors in Agribusiness Management, Food Industry Management, Environmental Economics and Management). We address societal policy questions and solve practical problems for producers, consumers, and the environment. Our undergraduate and graduate programs prepare the next generation of economists and managers to meet the needs of the food, agricultural, and natural resource systems in Michigan and around the world. For more information on the department, see: www.afre.msu.edu.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend