Specialist - Advisor-Fixed Term
Back to search results
Job no: 856204
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
James Madison College
James Madison College Dean 10024488
FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
55000.00-60000.00 Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Student Services/Student Affairs, Advising/Counseling, Fixed Term Academic Staff, Full Time (90-100%), Non-Union, Remote-Friendly
As the Field Experience Coordinator and Academic Advisor, they are the primary advisor for students preparing for and completing the colleges Field Experience requirement. This involves developing, maintaining, and monitoring internship opportunities and working closely with college leaders on international experiences (including education abroad programs). Additionally, this person will serve as an Academic Advisor for first-year students in the college. Given the dual responsibilities of the position, the ideal candidate with be both self-motivated and able to work independently, yet also possess the ability to collaborate effectively as an integral member of a team.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Direct and manage the field experience and experiential education for James Madison College.
- Advise students about options for completing the colleges Field Experience requirement, which includes internships, education abroad programs, and senior honors theses.
- Support students throughout the internship application process, which includes reviewing application materials (resumes, cover letters), coordinating with on-site supervisors, and partnering with faculty readers.
- Assists in coordinating international internships with the MSU Office of Education Abroad and other units at Michigan State University. Support students in preparing to apply for these programs, during the program and upon return from their international experience.
- Plans, implements, and cultivates new internship and experiential education opportunities locally, nationally, and internationally.
- Work closely with faculty to design and implement new student experiential education opportunities.
- Facilitate faculty and student interaction on research projects associated with internship completion.
- Advises undergraduate students on course enrollment and academic planning for the Fall, Spring, and Summer terms.
- Assists College with New Student Orientation.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Masters -Student Affairs, Higher Education, social sciences, or liberal arts disciplines
- Masters degree required in Student Affairs, Higher Education, social science, or liberal arts disciplines.
- Well-prepared candidates will have at least one year of full-time work in student affairs/services programs such as career services, study abroad, internship placement office, or academic advisement.
- Excellent written, oral, and presentation communication skills are essential.
- Strong organizational skills emphasizing long-term planning for field experience operations and outreach are vital to the applicant's success.
- Technical skills in word processing, database management, PowerPoint, spreadsheets, and web page updates. Works closely with College Communications Team.
- Ability to work closely with the Office of Education Abroad, other academic units at Michigan State University, The Honors College, Academic Advisors, and external constituencies, including internship providers.
Required Application Materials
Please submit a cover letter, C.V., and at least three letters of reference. The names and contact information of three confidential references must be provided as part of the application process. MSU will contact these references with instructions for the references on how to upload their confidential letter into MSUs application system.
Applications must be submitted electronically to the Michigan State University Human Resources website: https://careers.msu.edu
. Review of applications will begin on May 19, 2023 and will continue until the position is filled. Please contact Katie Dyjach (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
Review of Applications Begins On
Remote Work Statement
MSU strives to provide a flexible work environment and this position has been designated as remote-friendly. Remote-friendly means some or all of the duties can be performed remotely as mutually agreed upon.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend