Specialist - Advisor-Continuing
Back to search results
Job no: 846267
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Natural Science
Integrative Biology 10032920
FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Advising/Counseling, Continuing System Academic Staff, Full Time (90-100%), Non-Union
This position will work collaboratively with the undergraduate team in both departments to engage in proactive and holistic advising, offered through an equity lens, to support and empower students to reach their goals and to make a difference in the MSU community and the world at large.
As an advisor, this individual will:
- Assist students with course selection, while maintaining and monitoring student records towards degree completion.
- Support students by providing academic success strategies; creating connections with campus resources, research, and internship opportunities; encourage growth in career development, including preparation for graduate and professional school.
- Approve and manage course overrides and academic program degree substitutions in collaboration with the undergraduate program director and education program coordinator.
- Bridge connections between students and other members of IBIO/PLB (undergraduates, faculty, staff, specialists, graduate students, postdocs, and alumni) and the broader MSU community.
- Represent the IBIO/PLB departments while meeting with prospective students and parents, during New Student Orientation programs, department-associated undergraduate clubs, undergraduate commencement, recruitment at colloquium, Community, Curriculum, and Career (C3) Expo, and other associated undergraduate events. (Occasional evenings and weekends may be required.)
- Assist with tracking of on-campus and off-campus undergraduate research and experiential opportunities.
- Participate in undergraduate curriculum review.
- Engage with faculty and academic staff in the designated departments & programs, the College of Natural Science Dean’s Office, the Honors College, and other units on campus.
- Collaborate with advising colleagues through college-wide advisor meetings and professional development activities to promote professional growth and to support the student’s academic success.
- Work collaboratively through an equity lens to ensure all students and members of the IBIO and PLB Undergraduate Offices feel supported and respected in their roles towards student success.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Masters -Science, Higher Education, Student Affai
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills with the ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Strong work ethic, including professionalism and accountability.
- A commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with Academic Advisors and a diverse student population, faculty, other academic units, and potential employers.
- Proficiency in standard computer programs (e.g., MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Teams, etc.)
- Dynamic presentation skills and comfort working with students individually and in groups.
- Degree (Bachelor’s or Master’s) in biology or related STEM discipline.
- Experience in advising and career planning, or similar professional experience.
- Experience working with science majors.
- Previous experience developing connections with and supporting a diverse group of students and colleagues.
- Familiarity with University policies, procedures, and software systems (e.g., Campus Solutions).
- Experience with creating academic success-centered initiatives, including long term planning and implementation.
Required Application Materials
(2) Cover Letter
(3) An Advising Philosophy Statement which includes discussion of your previous efforts in diversity, equity, and inclusion.
(4) Names and contact information for three references.
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
Review of Applications Begins On
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend