Specialist - Advisor-Continuing
Back to search results
Job no: 837423
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Social Science
FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Advising/Counseling, Continuing System Academic Staff, Full Time (90-100%), Non-Union
Michigan State University actively promotes a dynamic research and learning environment in which qualified individuals of differing perspectives, and cultural backgrounds pursue academic goals with mutual respect and shared inquiry.
The Department of Economics is looking for an Undergraduate Advisor to advise Economics undergrads and contribute to an advising team managing various projects within the Department of Economics. Duties include but are not limited to:
- advising a diverse population of undergraduate students regarding academic program planning (including University, College, and major requirements).
- monitoring progress toward graduation requirements/updating student records.
- study abroad.
- career development/graduate school and related topics; informing students of resources available at the University.
- participating in orientation programming and in unit/college efforts aimed at recruitment and retention.
- assisting the Department Chair with class scheduling and other special projects.
- and serving on the department Undergraduate Instruction Committee and participating in the College of Social Science Advisors’ meetings.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Masters -college personnel, social science, business, or related field
- Masters in college personnel, social science, business, or related field.
- Experience working with international students and students from diverse backgrounds.
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter
- Contact information of three professional references
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity/inclusion will advance MSU’s commitment to inclusive excellence.
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
All applicants must apply online at https://careers.msu.edu.
Review of Applications Begins On
The mission of the Department of Economics at Michigan State University consists of three interrelated components: providing the highest quality instruction to our undergraduate and graduate students, conducting leading-edge research in economics, and providing leadership and service to our professional communities. As a unit in a major land-grant university, we are committed to excel in all three components of our mission.
Michigan State University is located in East Lansing, MI, with easy access to the state capital, Lake Michigan, and award-winning school districts. MSU is also pro-active in exploring opportunities for employment for dual career couples, both inside and outside the University. Information about MSU's dual career support can be found at http://miwin.msu.edu/.
MSU is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. MSU is committed to achieving excellence through diversity. To learn more about the department, our faculty, and our PhD and undergraduate programs, please visit our web site at http://econ.msu.edu.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend