Associate Director of Devel Spartan Fund
The Advancement Team is seeking an enthusiastic, energetic and results-oriented individual with demonstrated ability to work within a campus culture that includes a diverse array of personalities and to cohesively manage multiple expectations.
MSU Spartan Fund (Athletics)
Competing within the prestigious Big Ten Conference, Michigan State University Athletics is a self –sustaining unit and private financial support plays a crucial role.
The Spartan Fund secures philanthropic contributions through capital, annual, endowment and planned gifts in support of MSU Athletics. These gifts are in support of our student-athletes, programs, and coaches in their quest for excellence.
Annually, nearly 700 student-athletes across 21 sports are getting a world-class education while playing the sport they love. With support from Spartans and others across the country we are able to offer a championship level opportunity in the classroom, in competition and in the community. We are helping shape the future of MSU Athletics.
The Associate Director of Development identifies, cultivates, and solicits gifts and pledges with donors and prospects that are capable of giving in excess of $50,000.
The Associate Director manages, develops, and stewards a portfolio of approximately 120 prospects and donors, securing major and planned gifts in a defined Region within Michigan, on behalf of Michigan State Athletics. Will work closely with other athletic department leaders, coaches, and development colleagues to coordinate and collaborate in order to maximize gift potential for intercollegiate athletics and Michigan State University.
Adhere to MSU Athletics Core Values: Respect, Positive Attitude, Focus, Accountability, Continued Improvement, Integrity.
Frequent travel may be required as well as regular participation in evening and weekend activities.
Discovery, Cultivation, Solicitation:
- Develop and manage a portfolio of 120 major gift prospects focusing on solicitations of $50,000 and above, with major emphasis on 6- and 7-figure fundraising.
- Conduct strategic moves with prospects and donors, and participate in a minimum of 30 solicitations per year.
- Complete at least 15-20 face to face strategic meetings per month with donors and prospects.
- Provide consistent and appropriate contact, facilitate or make solicitations, and deliver effective stewardship.
- Develop and maintain an awareness of social, business, and philanthropic cultures in a defined Region, and serve as an expert liaison for the Michigan State Athletics community.
- Identify, and formally qualify new major and planned gift prospects by developing and executing long-range and short-range strategies and plans to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward prospects, producing a continuous stream of donors capable of making gifts of $50,000 or more to Michigan State Athletics.
Strategy, Coordination, Collaboration:
- Gather data, assess prospects and develop strategies designed to realize the current and life-time giving potential of individual prospects. Utilize gift report to find new prospects for special gifts and major gifts teams.
- Partner with Athletic Development, University Development, and Advancement colleagues to develop, plan, and execute a successful capital campaign.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with academic and other unit colleagues on campus, by demonstrating leadership in the development community.
- Collaborate in the MSU development community, while representing the Athletic Department’s values and its unique role at Michigan State University.
- Coordinate and facilitate activity that will directly result in prospect identification, engagement. and successful solicitation, including advising executive officers, deans, and development colleagues on the culture, expectations and needs of the University’s constituents.
- Have a comprehensive understanding of Michigan State Athletics priorities and make a persuasive verbal and written case for supporting key programs and projects, effectively matching the interests of prospects to specific Athletics Department needs.
- Assist with volunteer structures in recruiting and sustaining strong volunteer network to assist in prospect identification, cultivation and solicitation, as well as to provide expanded opportunities for key prospects to engage with Michigan State Athletics and the University as a whole.
• Serve as Spartan Fund point of contact for at least 2 varsity sports.
• Participate in Athletic Development events as appropriate. This includes but is not limited; to home and away football game activities, on and off-campus donor activities, other athletic events, etc.
• Perform other duties as required or assigned.
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing a four-year college degree program in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing and/or Business; three to five years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in public relations, volunteer administration, professional and higher education or athletic fund raising, marketing or related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Available to manage 50% travel, including evenings, weekends, and holidays when needed.
Must have a valid driver’s license.
Bachelor’s degree required.
Seven or more years of development or relevant experience, with at least five years of major gift experience.
Knowledge of laws, practices, philosophy, and ethics of charitable giving.
Demonstrated track record of financial development and/or productivity in a complex work environment.
Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Experience in athletics, and/or higher education preferred.
Demonstrated ability to work within a campus culture that includes a diverse array of personalities.
Ability to multi-task and manage time effectively in a fast moving environment.
Positive attitude with strong interpersonal skills.
Proven ability to work autonomously, collaboratively and within a team structure.
Experience with “Moves Management” or related strategic relationship development.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Required Application Materials
Resume and cover letter
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact Pat Karam, Recruitment Manager at email@example.com.
Candidates must submit an application, resume and cover letter through the Michigan State University Human Resources web-based system, the URL for this website is careers.msu.edu. Please indicate the position number 836045 when submitting your application.
8 am - 5 pm with some evenings and weekends
Remote Work Statement
MSU strives to provide a flexible work environment and this position has been designated as remote-friendly. Remote-friendly means some or all of the duties can be performed remotely as mutually agreed upon.
Bidding eligibility ends on 1/3/23 at 11:55 PM