Michigan State University invites applications and nominations for an educator and scholar with the vision to serve as Chairperson of the Department of Statistics and Probability (STT). Founded in 1955, the Department of Statistics and Probability (https://stt.natsci.msu.edu/) is situated within the College of Natural Science at Michigan State University and is dedicated to advancing knowledge through research, education, and innovation. Its faculty are engaged in applied, methodological, and theoretical research in statistics, probability, and data science, and collaborate across diverse disciplines including computational biology, actuarial science, education, engineering, genetics, medical sciences, and the social sciences, among others, with access to a high-performance computing facility on campus. The department is engaged in statistics education research and practice and has a vibrant community of teaching faculty. The department awards bachelor’s degrees in statistics and in quantitative risk analytics, master’s degrees in statistics, applied statistics, and data science, and doctoral degrees in statistics. The department is home to over 100 graduate students and more than 100 undergraduate students from many countries.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Doctorate -Statistics or equivalent field
Chair candidates should be committed to the advancement of undergraduate and graduate education, have a distinguished record of research and professional accomplishment, have strong leadership and management abilities, and be dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) among students, staff, and faculty. The continuation of an active research program is expected and will be supported. The successful candidate will be appointed at the rank of tenured full Professor. A Doctorate in Statistics or equivalent field is required.
Required Application Materials
A completed application must include:
- CV with full publication list, funding record, leadership experience, professional development activities
- Research Statement describing the candidate’s past and current research and how their future research plans complement the goals and growth of MSU STT (maximum 5 pages)
- Vision statement presenting the candidate’s approach to leadership and their vision for the growth of the research, teaching, mentoring, and DEI components of STT (maximum 5 pages).
- Names and contact information for four letter writers who can address the candidate’s record in research, mentoring, leadership, and diversity building. Letters will only be solicited for candidates selected for on-campus interview.
Applicants will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Scholarly Impact: Publications and scholarly products including open science initiatives, research mentoring, and collaborative work, external funding record, and role of DEI in research community.
- Evidence of Leadership: Record of leadership positions, leadership style and a vision to applying these to the growth of research and DEI within the department.
- Vision for STT: An understanding of emerging trends in statistics, probability, data science, and machine learning. This includes connections between STT and other research units, professional organizations, and initiatives in public outreach. A plan for the growth and diversification of the graduate and undergraduate programs. A vision for growth of diversity within the department.
- Teaching and mentoring: Record of mentoring junior researchers, graduate, and undergraduate students. A commitment to excellence in instruction and curriculum at all levels. Understanding of the impact of racial, gender, socioeconomic, and cultural diversity upon education.
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
Best efforts will be made to maintain confidentiality prior to the on-campus interview. All materials should be assembled into a single PDF file and uploaded to: https://careers.msu.edu/
Review of applications will begin on January 16, 2023 and will continue until the position is filled. Questions regarding the position may be sent to the Chair of the search committee, Wolfgang Bauer, at email@example.com.
Review of Applications Begins On
MSU is an affirmative-action, equal-opportunity employer and is committed to achieving excellence through a diverse workforce and inclusive culture that encourages all people to reach their full potential. The University actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans and persons with disabilities. MSU is committed to providing a work environment that supports employees' work and personal lives, and MSUoffers employment assistance to the spouse or partner of candidates for faculty and academic staff positions.
Together We Will Statement: Michigan State University requires all MSU students, faculty, and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at https://msu.edu/together-we-will
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.