Michigan State University (MSU) invites applications for the position of Chair of the Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science (CHEMS) with an anticipated start date of August 16, 2023.
Outstanding candidates with interests and demonstrated background in any area related to chemical engineering or materials science and engineering are encouraged to apply. Candidates must be qualified for the appointment at the rank of Professor in the Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science and have a strong track record in publications and attracting research funding from diverse sources. Evidence of scientific and organizational leadership, educational innovation, outstanding communication abilities, a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives (DEI), with experience in academia, industry, or government is essential. A demonstrated track record of excellence in administrative effectiveness is preferred.
The CHEMS Department has vibrant research and education programs in both Chemical Engineering and Materials Science and Engineering. The department comprises 34 faculty and academic specialists. The faculty have received numerous awards and honors, including University Distinguished Faculty, NSF CAREER, Teaching Excellence and Research Scholar and have been named Fellows in many professional societies. The Department has strong research programs with research expenditures of about $7M per year. The Chemical Engineering and Materials Science and Engineering programs both oﬀer degrees at the BS, MS, and PhD levels. Current graduate enrollment is ~80 PhD students and ~500 undergraduates. Faculty in the department engage in instruction and perform cutting edge research in a variety of areas spanning biomedical technology, polymers and composites, advanced materials, and energy and sustainability. Visit chems.msu.edu/research to explore the breadth of research activities.
The CHEMS Chair will be expected to:
- oversee Department operations, personnel and resources;
- actively work to identify and pursue innovations in research, education, and service;
- lead the Department in strategic planning and the development of the departmental vision of academic leadership and excellence;
- work substantively with other chairs in the College and all units in the Dean’s office as a part of the College management team in setting the stage for the growth of the College;
- represent the Department to the academic community, industry, and government;
- promote diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging within the department and the institution.
MSU enjoys a park-like campus with some outlying research facilities and natural areas. The campus is in the city of East Lansing, adjacent to the capital city of Lansing. The Lansing metropolitan area has a diverse population of approximately 541,000. Local communities have excellent school systems and place a high value on education. Michigan State University is proactive in exploring opportunities for employment for dual-career couples, both inside and outside the University. Information about MSU’s dual-career support can be found at https://worklife.msu.edu/dual-career. Information about WorkLife at MSU and the College of Engineering can be found at https://worklife.msu.edu/ and https://www.egr.msu.edu/about/resources/faculty-staff/worklife-at-engineering.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Doctorate -Chemical Engineering or Materials Science
- Candidates must be qualified for the appointment at the rank of Professor in the Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science and have a strong track record in publications and attracting research funding from diverse sources.
- Evidence of scientific and organizational leadership, educational innovation, outstanding communication abilities, a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives (DEI), with experience in academia, industry, or government is essential.
- A demonstrated track record of excellence in administrative effectiveness is preferred.
Required Application Materials
Applicants must submit six items:
- a detailed curriculum vitae,
- a cover letter summarizing qualifications and leadership approach,
- a statement on the future vision for research and education of the professions and the department,
- a statement discussing the applicant’s philosophy toward promoting diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging as it applies to their research, teaching and mentoring, and
- names and contact information for five references.
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
For full consideration, applications should be received before January 3, 2023. Applications will be reviewed on a continuing basis until the position is filled. Nominations or questions are welcome by contacting the search committee chair through email at CHEMS-Chair-Search@egr.msu.edu.
Review of Applications Begins On
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.