Instructor - Fixed Term
Back to search results
Job no: 824135
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Natural Science
Biochemistry & Molecular Biology Cns 10032098
FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Education/Training, Research/Scientific, Fixed Term Faculty, Full Time (90-100%), Union
Instructor - Fixed Term
The Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (BMB) at Michigan State University is seeking an innovative and engaging educator for a 12-month, fixed-term (non-tenure track) Instructor position to manage day-to-day operations and participate in instruction of intermediate and senior level undergraduate biochemistry laboratory courses. The initial appointment is for one year with reappointment expected based on satisfactory performance and continued funding. These courses emphasize basic quantitative laboratory skills and data analysis, using biochemical methods and principles for the study of proteins and nucleic acids. This instructor will work with a collaborative team of faculty and graduate teaching assistants to contribute to curriculum development, present lectures or run recitations, grade laboratory notebooks and reports, and other assessments, and maintain grading records. Specific duties include the preparation, testing, and set-up of laboratory materials and reagents, maintaining laboratory stocks/strains, basic repair and maintenance of laboratory equipment, and in-class oversight of student progress in conducting experiments during laboratory sessions. As this position requires a considerable amount of student-instructor contact in a laboratory setting, the candidate should be committed to teaching in intensive and interactive small group settings. Dependent on a candidate’s interests and qualifications, additional duties may include participating in Discipline-Based Education Research, curriculum development, and subject matter pedagogy. The candidate should be committed to continued professional development and is expected to become part of the vibrant community of scholars engaged in improving undergraduate STEM education at MSU. The College of Natural Sciences and BMB are committed to building and supporting an equitable and inclusive community for all faculty, staff, and students. The department is especially interested in receiving applications from candidates who have demonstrated a commitment to diversity and inclusion and bring nontraditional educational perspectives and/or appreciation of the experiences of underrepresented groups.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Masters -Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, or closely related field
Doctorate -Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, or closely related field
- Master’s degree required in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, or closely related field
- Teaching experience, including as a graduate teaching assistant in laboratory science courses at the college or university level
- Experience in teaching diverse populations of students and/or evidence of commitment to professional development around diversity, equity, and inclusion topics.
- Proficiency in biochemistry and molecular biology, including subject content knowledge, experience with recombinant DNA techniques, protein purification, and enzymology
- Experience using and maintaining a range of laboratory instruments
- Strong teamwork skills and commitment to teamwork
- Experience in one-on-one student teaching and mentorship
- Instructor of record in laboratory course(s) in the fields of molecular biology, recombinant DNA techniques, protein purification and/or enzymology
- Professional development around teaching and learning, DBER (Discipline based education research), and subject matter pedagogy
Required Application Materials
Applicants should submit the following documents to careers.msu.edu (posting 824135):
- Cover letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- At minimum includes academic degrees you have earned, work experience relevant to the position, and specific laboratory skills and equipment you have experience with.
- Scientific writing sample
- e.g., research manuscript, medical communication, technical report, science blog post, news article)
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion statement (1 page)
- Teaching portfolio (limited to 10 pages)
- Teaching philosophy (1 page)
- Reflection on your set of beliefs concerning the practice of pedagogy and the process of learning.
- A narrative describing past roles and responsibilities, teaching collaborations, describing how consideration of diversity and inclusion has shaped your teaching practice
- Describe an experience where you evaluated the efficacy of your own teaching practice, including how you collaborated with colleagues in this effort.
- Support your narrative with documentation (e.g., syllabi, assessments, instructional materials, student evaluations, etc.)
- The names and contact information for three references who can address both your teaching and writing experience
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
Please direct questions regarding the position to Dr. Kelly Kim (email@example.com), Chair of the Search Committee.
Review of applications will begin on 12/1/2022 and continue until a suitable candidate is identified.
Review of Applications Begins On
The missions of the BMB Department at Michigan State University are to discover and transfer new knowledge about the molecular basis of life through basic and cross-disciplinary biomolecular science research while maintaining a collegial and fertile learning environment. Additional information about the BMB Department, including descriptions of current courses, can be found on the BMB departmental website. https://bmb.natsci.msu.edu/
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend