Specialist - Advisor-Continuing
Back to search results
Job no: 794467
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Natural Science
Natural Science Dean 10032604
FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Advising/Counseling, Continuing System Academic Staff, Full Time (90-100%), Non-Union
This twelve month Academic Specialist- Advisor position is in the continuing system with the College of Natural Science Undergraduate Academic and Student Affairs Office. The selected individual will serve as a Human Biology and Pre-Health Advisor, providing advising support to students pursuing the Human Biology degree, and is responsible for advising pre-health students across university majors on admission criteria to professional health programs. In addition, this position includes serving as the advisor for a student organization and representing the College of Natural Science at various undergraduate recruiting events. The position interfaces regularly with faculty in the College of Natural Science and Lyman Briggs College, in addition to campus resources and partners. The selected individual will participate in all New Student Orientation and student affairs activities throughout the year. This individual will work collaboratively with the Assistant Director of Pre-Health and Human Biology Advising and the advising staff to provide comprehensive advising services to students that are affiliated with the College of Natural Science. The unit is interested in candidates who have a record of success advising and mentoring individuals from underrepresented groups in a higher education setting.
MSU strives to provide a flexible work environment and this position has been designated as remote friendly. Remote-friendly means some or all of the duties can be performed remotely as mutually agreed upon.
- Advise prospective students and their families on the pre-health track, the human biology curriculum, and the transition to MSU.
- Advise human biology and pre-health undergraduate students at various stages of their academic career.
Guide students through the process of planning for and applying to graduate/professional schools
- Participate in recruiting and informational events, including but not limited to: on-campus presentations to prospective students and their families, workshops for current pre-health students, and inter- and cross-college collaborative information sessions.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Masters -Science, Behavioral Science, Higher Education, Student Affairs, or related field.
- Master’s Degree in Science, Behavioral Science, Higher Education, Student Affairs, or related field.
- Experience working with college-aged students.
- Evidence of strong communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Evidence of contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion in a professional or educational setting.
- Familiarity with University systems, policies, and procedures
- Prior experience advising in STEM and/or pre-health fields
Required Application Materials
1) Cover Letter
3) A list of three references including their contact information
Please apply through MAP, position #TBD.
Review of applications will begin two weeks after the position is posted.
Search Committee Chair:
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
Review of Applications Begins On
Remote Work Statement
MSU strives to provide a flexible work environment and this position has been designated as remote-friendly. Remote-friendly means some or all of the duties can be performed remotely as mutually agreed upon.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend