Position Summary(Basic Job Function)
This a temporary or on-call position. Provides a wide variety of consulting services including conference, seminar or workshop design/presentation; operations review and analysis; project design, completion, coordination or management; or related consulting services. Consultants paid on grant funds must be paid on an hourly or daily basis, with a minimum wage of $12.00 per hour. Term: Temps can work two (2) nine (9) month terms with a week break in service in between at the end of the second term terminate for three (3) months or switch to an on-call. On-Call allowed to work 1039 hours in any twelve (12) month period.
Unit Position Summary
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE) invites applications for the position of On-Call Pavement Preservation Engineer at the National Center of Pavement Preservation (NCPP) at Michigan State University. This position provides, on as-needed basis, technical support and expertise to effectively address pavement preservation-related activities including outreach and training to further the state of practice.
Primary duties include:
-Providing NCPP with the required technical expertise to address pavement preservation related activities, needs, and challenges;
-Identifying, promoting, and facilitating the implementation and dissemination of proven solutions, best practices, and emerging technologies for pavement preservation;
-Organizing, and facilitating meetings and any other group activities as necessary or required;
-Helping to provide an environment for learning and training;
-Supporting and participating in outreach activities;
-Maintaining close and effective communications with all sectors of the pavement preservation community and providing technical advice and assistance as needed.
-Performs other related duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will be required to represent NCPP at relevant meetings and events. The On-Call Pavement Preservation Engineer reports to the Director of NCPP. The level of effort will be variable from week to week, based on activities underway and needs, but will not exceed an average commitment of 20 hours per week (50% of full time). Travel is required. Telework is an option.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Ten years of pavement engineering and/or pavement materials experience.
- Ability to develop and review Quality Control plans, Construction plans, specifications, procedures and any other related documents.
- Demonstrated leadership and effectiveness in organizational and strategic planning
- Ability to integrate related activities with those of other entities to produce continuity of effort
- History of developing and maintaining effective working relationships with diverse partners and stakeholders to achievie common goals
- Ability to communicate technical information effectively verbally and in writing;
- A valid Driver’s License.
- United States citizen or permanent resident
- A BS degree in Civil Engineering or a closely related discipline
- Experience developing, organizing, and offering professional training courses, workshops or seminars
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Required Application Materials
Applicants must submit 1) a detailed resume, 2) a cover letter summarizing their qualifications, 3) names and contact information for at least three references.
Applications will be reviewed on a continuing basis until the position is filled. Nominations or questions are welcome by contacting NCPP at 517-432-8220 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
Remote Work Statement
MSU strives to provide a flexible work environment and this position has been designated as remote-friendly. Remote-friendly means some or all of the duties can be performed remotely as mutually agreed upon.