Specialist - Advisor-Continuing
Back to search results
Job no: 774746
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Natural Science
Natural Science Dean 10032604
FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Advising/Counseling, Continuing System Academic Staff, Full Time (90-100%), Non-Union
This is a twelve-month Academic Specialist - Advising position in the continuing system with the College of Natural Science Undergraduate Academic and Student Affairs Office. The selected individual will serve as the Transfer Student Success Advisor and will report to the Director of Academic Advising and Student Success Initiatives. The Transfer Student Success Advisor works in collaboration with advising colleagues at Michigan State University and other institutions to support transfer student success and transition to the College of Natural Science.
Position responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Advising transfer students on transfer equivalencies, enrollment, academic planning, and referrals to student success resources and services.
- Serve as the point person for transfer-related policies and procedures within the college
- Collaborate with Admissions, faculty, and academic departments.
- Establish relationships with other colleges and universities to facilitate students' successful transition to MSU.
- Develop programming that cultivates a sense of community and belonging for transfer students.
The goals of the College of Natural Science Undergraduate Academic and Student Affairs Office align with the broader institution and College goals of closing opportunity gaps for underrepresented students by increasing persistence, retention, and graduation rates, and decreasing time to degree. The College welcomes candidates who have a record of success advising or mentoring individuals from groups underrepresented in STEM.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
- Master’s Degree in education, counseling, science or related field.
- Evidence of successful collaborations in a professional or educational setting.
- Evidence of contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion in a professional or educational setting.
- Experience working with College Students
- Experience with student information systems
- An understanding of science curricula or experience working with STEM students
- Evidence of and commitment to professional development
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter
- A list of three professional references with contact information
- An Advising Statement describing the applicant’s philosophy on advising students, including experiences or plans to support marginalized and historically underrepresented students.
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
Interested candidates should submit the required materials through careers.msu.edu, addressed to Janae Lawler, Director of Academic Advising and Strategic Initiatives, College of Natural Science, 288 Farm Lane Road, East Lansing, MI 48824. Inquiries can be sent to email@example.com.
Review of Applications Begins On
Remote Work Statement
MSU strives to provide a flexible work environment and this position has been designated as remote-friendly. Remote-friendly means some or all of the duties can be performed remotely as mutually agreed upon.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
“MSU is an affirmative-action, equal-opportunity employer and is committed to achieving excellence through a diverse workforce and inclusive culture that encourages all people to reach their full potential. The University actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans and persons with disabilities. MSU is committed to providing a work environment that supports employees' work and personal life and offers employment assistance to the spouse or partner of candidates for faculty and academic staff positions.”
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend