The Department of Computational Mathematics, Science and Engineering (CMSE), in partnership with the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) at Michigan State University (MSU) invites applications for a tenure-system faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor in the broad area of Quantum Algorithms with an anticipated start date of August 16, 2022. Candidates must hold a PhD in engineering, or closely related areas, such as computer science, applied mathematics, physics, or chemistry. The candidate is expected to establish a sustainable research program, make significant scholarly contributions to their discipline, be an effective teacher and mentor of both undergraduate and graduate students, engage in institutional and professional service, and support MSU’s diverse student population.
MSU enjoys a park-like campus with outlying research facilities and natural areas. The campus is adjacent to the city of East Lansing and the capital city of Lansing. The Lansing metropolitan area has a diverse population of approximately 470,000. Local communities have excellent school systems and place a high value on education. Michigan State University is proactive in exploring opportunities for employment for dual-career couples, both inside and outside the University. Information about MSU’s dual-career support can be found at https://worklife.msu.edu/dual-career
. Information about WorkLife at MSU and the College of Engineering can be found at https://worklife.msu.edu/
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Doctorate -Engineering or closely related areas
We are seeking a candidate working in the area of computational/theoretical quantum computing, quantum information science or related fields with an emphasis on quantum algorithms and a broad perspective on quantum computing. MSU is committed to expanding into the area of Quantum Information Science, and this position is the first in a series of additional hires in the area of Quantum Computing. In this direction, MSU has founded an interdisciplinary Center for Quantum Computing Science and Engineering (MSU-Q), which provides opportunities for collaboration across multiple disciplines and departments at MSU. Michigan State University has established the Department of Computational Mathematics, Science, and Engineering in recognition that computational and data science is a fundamental area of research in the 21st century. The department seeks to create an interdisciplinary environment that fosters a new breed of researchers who will address emerging problems in science and engineering. The candidate’s primary appointment will be in the Department of CMSE with a minority appointment in Electrical and Computer Engineering.
Required Application Materials
To ensure a holistic assessment of candidates, we request that applications include the following:
- A one-page cover letter that frames your application in the context of this position description and the mission of MSU’s Department of Computational Mathematics, Science and Engineering and Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering: “to create an interdisciplinary environment that fosters a new breed of researchers who will address emergent problems in science and engineering.”
- A CV, which may include a list of publications, accepted proposals for funding/resources, contributed and invited talks, teaching and mentoring roles, leadership positions, contributions to the academic community, and efforts in public outreach.
- A two- to four-page statement highlighting past research successes and future research interests and plans for developing a sustainable research group. This statement should describe any collaborative research efforts and also specify which lead-author publication the applicant would most like the search committee to read.
- A one- to two-page teaching statement describing the applicant’s educational priorities and plans to incorporate them in their teaching assignments at MSU.
- A one-page statement on how they have fostered equity, diversity and inclusion in previous professional settings, and how they plan to do so at MSU.
- Contact information for three professional references to provide letters upon request.
Reference letters will not be solicited for the initial evaluation of candidates; however, applicants should ensure that letters will be submitted promptly upon request. The selection process will begin on 25 Feb 2022, and review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
Nominations or questions are welcome by contacting the search committee chair, Professor Huey-Wen Lin, through email at firstname.lastname@example.org with email title starting with “[QIS]” + subject. Applicants are encouraged to peruse the MSU CMSE https://cmse.msu.edu/ and ECE https://ece.msu.edu/ websites.
Review of Applications Begins On
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.