Instructor/Ast Professor Fixed Term
Back to search results
Job no: 724524
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Education
Teacher Education 10014815
FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Education/Training, Fixed Term Faculty, Full Time (90-100%), Union
Instructor/Ast Professor Fixed Term
The College of Education at Michigan State University invites applications for a fixed-term faculty position as Clinical Experience Coordinator for the Master of Art in Teaching and Curriculum (MATC) Program in the Department of Teacher Education. This position is a full-time appointment on an academic year basis and covers coordinating field experiences for MATC students pursuing the Reading or ESL endorsements in school districts where SCH hours are engaged and evaluated. The position will be located in East Lansing, MI.
Responsibilities will include effective performance of the following:
The successful candidate will perform the following job duties and responsibilities:
- Develop the daily operational responsibilities and organizational relationships with MATC instructors, staff, students and partnering schools and districts (e.g., meeting with MATC instructors, staff, students, school district administration, school administrators and teachers to ensure appropriate MATC clinical experience placements for graduate students and communicate MATC and MDE clinical experience policies and procedures).
- Provide continuous support to MATC instructors, staff, students as well as school district personnel, related to meeting program and MDE clinical experience requirements.
- Ensure that the 30 student contact hours (SCH) required by MDE for an additional content-area endorsement in Reading or ESL is supervised, accompanied by ongoing feedback and assessed.
- Handle productive relationships with the clinical sites -- including work related to protocols around video recordings, background checks, tCOVID-19 concerns, etc. -- that contribute to candidates’ ability to successfully complete clinical experience requirements and to arrangements are “mutually beneficial” for MSU and the P12 partner.
- Mediate difficult conversations and disputes involving any combination of MATC instructors, staff, students, and school district personnel as needed.
- Plan, schedule, and facilitate any meetings or events necessary to support each MATC student working toward a Reading or ESL endorsement so that their clinical experience is supervised, accompanied by ongoing feedback, and assessed.
- Oversee all data collection, management, and sharing using platforms such as Via, GoReact, Qualtrics, and D2L.
Teach Reading and/or ESL courses in the MATC program.
If needed, the person in this position will also support the MATC Director in interviewing and making recommendations for hiring field instructors and perform other duties as assigned. These duties might include teaching Reading and/or ESL courses in the undergraduate teacher preparation program.
Position rank will be at the level of Instructor or Assistant Professor, depending on qualifications. Appointment will be for one year beginning summer 2021. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. Interested candidates should apply via the MSU job application website at http://www.careers.msu.edu/.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
This is an open rank position requiring a doctorate (Assistant Professor) or master’s degree (Instructor) in Reading and/or ESL.
Candidates must have experience teaching and working in K-12 public school settings; successful collaborative leadership experience; experience facilitating clinical experiences that are supervised, accompanied by ongoing feedback, and assessed; strong communication skills; demonstrated commitment to humanizing and anti-racist pedagogies and practices, and meeting the academic needs of culturally and linguistically diverse learners; skills in collaborating with teachers and principals; earned MA in a relevant field, doctoral degree preferred.
A doctorate in Reading and/or ESL is preferred, but outstanding candidates with a master’s degree and exceptional experience will be considered. Reading Specialist certification is desired.
Experience working with graduate students; experience working with school districts and schools; experience planning events; experience with data management platforms; experience conducting professional evaluations; experience using technology to solve problems.
Required Application Materials
Curriculum vita, cover letter, and names and contact information for three references.
Review of Applications Begins On
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend