Research Associate-Fixed Term
Back to search results
Job no: 692917
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Natural Science
Plant Research Laboratory Nat Science 10032674
FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Research/Scientific, Fixed Term Academic Staff, Full Time (90-100%), Non-Union
The Orange Carotenoid Protein (OCP) is critical for photoprotection in cyanobacteria. By taking advantage of the recent large increase in the available genome sequence data, we have identified new families of the OCP and its domain homologs. These are found widely distributed among taxonomically and ecophysiologically diverse cyanobacterial genomes. The postdoctoral position involves structural, functional and physiological characterization of these proteins. Methods include bioinformatics, protein biochemistry, functional and structural characterization (including EM techniques, x-ray crystallography, x-ray footprinting), in vivo characterization and synthetic biology-based approaches in vitro and in E. coli.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Doctorate -Molecular Biology and/or Chemistry
- Demonstrated ability to independently carry out creative research with tenacity and of the highest quality standards. This includes experimental design, trouble shooting, interpretation of data and the ability to situate results in the context of the broader goals of the project and the Lab
- Prepare manuscripts for publication and assist with the development of funding proposals and patents.
- Experience in overexpression and purification of proteins/enzymes/phycobilisomes
- Experience in genetic manipulation of cyanobacteria
- Experience in physiological characterization of cyanobacteria
- Demonstrated ability to conduct and perform collaborative research and effectively interact with a broad range of colleagues
- Ability to organize and present reports to collaborators and sponsors.
- Basic working knowledge of bioinformatics tools.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member in a diverse team environment.
- Experience and skill in preparing research publications
- Experience in one or more of the following: synthetic biology or bioengineering, protein design, high-throughput approaches to cloning and imaging, enzymology or biophysical characterization of macromolecular complexes.
- PhD in biochemistry, molecular biology, biophysics or related field.
Experience in protein/cellular imaging, bioinformatics or enzyme characterization is desirable.
Required Application Materials
To apply, send cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Review of Applications Begins On
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend