Mechanic Water Treatment
Back to search results
Job no: 677168
Work type: Support Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
Infrastructure Planning And Facilities
Ipf Maint Serv Mechanical Area 40001039
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Skilled Trades- SSTU, Skilled Trades, Union
This position will be responsible for the handling and distributing of chemicals to various Campus buildings and the testing and adjustments of chemical in a variety of HVAC equipment such as cooling towers, boilers, closed loop heating and cooling systems, and swimming pools. Perform daily/weekly chemical checks and seasonal cleaning of cooling towers. Maintenance and repair and installation of components associated with chemical water treatment of HVAC systems. Must have experience with using proper P.P.E. and Respirators for handling chemicals. Position involves the use of drum, two and four wheel carts and pertinent hand tools related to the trade. Erects and works from ladders, scaffolding, swing stages, boom trucks, and similar devices. This position will also needs basic pumping and piping knowledge. Requisitions materials and parts. Interprets blueprints, diagrams, sketches, and job specifications. Estimates time and materials to be used on the job. Prepares records and service reports of treatment levels, job time and materials expended. Also contacts customers and exhibits good Customer service and relations to the surrounding Campus Community.
This position will engage in high performing, leading edge practices, valuing people, partners and stewardship. At IPF, we are committed to fostering an equitable, inclusive culture; engaging and hiring a diverse workforce.
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
- Completion of a high school education or an equivalent combination of technical training and experience.
- Successful completion of an applicable trade-specific Trades Helper program, or completion of an approved apprenticeship program, or an associate degree, or equivalent education/experience.
- Five years’ experience in the water treatment trade that includes two years of experience in commercial water treatment installation, maintenance and troubleshooting and demonstrated ability to independently perform the duties and responsibilities of the classification, or equivalent education/experience.
- Possession at hire of a Michigan Pesticide Applicators Certificate with category 5A (Swimming Pool) or 5B (Microbial Pest Management) or the Certified Pool Operators (CPO) certification.
- Must possess a Michigan Pesticide Applicators Certificate with category 5A (Swimming Pool) and 5B (Microbial Pest Management) and Certified Pool Operators (CPO) certification to receive progression step increases at and after the six (6) month mark.
- Ability to differentiate between color hues for water testing.
- Expert knowledge of the methods, materials, tools, equipment, occupational hazards, and safety precautions of the trade.
- Expert knowledge of applicable building codes, rules, and regulations (local, state and federal).
- Possession of a valid vehicle operator's license.
- Must furnish own hand tools.
- Frequent lifting of 26 to 75 pounds and occasional lifting of over 75 pounds.
Familiarity with large chilled water system control and operation. Experience with boiler water treatment chemistry. Rigging experience. Knowledge of pump maintenance and repair.
A creative and innovative lifelong learner with the ability to communicate effectively with a diverse population; able to problem solve within a collaborative team environment; ability to understand different perspectives while utilizing expert knowledge of the technical operations of the job.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
Required Application Materials
NON-STANDARD/VARIABLE WORK HOURS: Monday through Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm, also includes varied hours as assigned. Position may require after-hours, weekend and holiday work.
Summary of Physical Demands
Duties associated with this position involve wearing a respirator (does not include paper dust mask worn for comfort), lifting and carrying up to 75 pounds, pushing/pulling, and climbing ladder, stairs, and working from various types of equipment, including scaffolding, confined spaces above and below ground.
Summary of Health Risks
Duties associated with this position involve wearing a respirator (does not include paper dust mask worn for comfort)
Bidding eligibility ends on 10/20/2020 at 11:55 PM
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend