Research Assistant I
Back to search results
Job no: 677493
Work type: Support Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Agriculture And Nat Resources
Entomology Agriculture And Natural Res 10002268
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Administrative Professionals- AP, Agriculture, Research/Scientific, Union
Assist with research related to black ash condition at different stages of invasion by emerald ash borer. Activities include communicating with federal, state and tribal resource managers to identify potential black ash locations, scouting sites, conducting field work to quantify overstory trees, regeneration, coarse woody debris and related variables within sites; entering, managing, compiling and analyzing data; assisting with preparation of reports, maps and presentations; supervising and training student workers and assisting in maintenance of equipment, supplies and vehicles used for field and laboratory work. Some activities will require working under mildly difficult weather conditions and overnight travel. Works hours are typically 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. but variable.
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing a four-year college degree program in forestry, natural resources, biology, zoology, or related field; Drivers license, good driving record and ability to travel overnight; one to three years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in standard laboratory procedures and safety requirements and performing analytical and research techniques in an area related to research being performed; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- M.S. degree in forestry, natural resources or related field
- Ability and willingness to work independently under adverse weather conditions
- Able to perform meticulous and tedious tasks accurately and follow detailed procedures
- Familiarity with basic GIS, mapping and data analysis methods
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Interest and willingness to train and supervise students
- One year of field work and data collection experience in forested areas
- Familiarity with forestry field methods including tree measurements, species identification, plot or transect establishment;
- Familiarity with data entry and organization using excel software
- Experience with statistical analysis and willing to learn new analytical methods
- Experience with handheld GPS and able to use GPS, compass and maps to navigate to specific locations
- Ability to communicate with land managers, forest health specialists, property owners, regulatory officials, supervisors and other members of the forest entomology laboratory
- Experience with preparation of reports, presentations and manuscripts.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
Required Application Materials
Resume, cover letter and three professional references.
Description of End Date
This is an off-dated position funded for one year from date of hire with possible extension contingent upon funding renewal.
Bidding and Eligibility Ends on 10/20/2020 at 11:55 PM
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend