Back to search results
Job no: 657792
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Music
Community Music School 10030163
FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
Pay Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Education/Training, Union, On-Call, Faculty Academic Staff On-Call
- Plans, organizes, implements and evaluates music therapy interventions as part of the treatment of individuals of varying ages and ability levels to influence physical, cognitive, psychological and social changes leading to the achievement of maximum independence:
- Collaborates with individual, his/her family and his/her team in assessing, developing treatment plan and planning music interventions in accordance with the individual’s physical, cognitive, psychological and/or social needs, capabilities and interests.
- Creates music therapy environments conducive to growing and appropriate for the age level, interests and needs of the individuals.
- Creatively continues to develop individualized music interventions which are effective in helping each person to realize his/her abilities and to succeed.
- Reviews and assesses therapy sessions to monitor effectiveness and to aid the planning of subsequent sessions.
- Develops and maintains effective individual and group relationships with individuals, their families and their treatment teams.
- Plans, organizes, implements and evaluates music therapy consultation as part of the treatment of individuals of varying ages and ability levels to influence physical, cognitive, psychological and social changes leading to the achievement of maximum independence:
- Consults with parents, teachers, therapists, nurses, aides, etc.
- Provides staff development training
- Compiles and maintains an updated file for each individual, which includes attendance sheets, treatment plans, progress reports and other information pertinent to the individual’s music therapy services.
- Completes all required paperwork in a timely manner, including treatment plans, progress reports, billing invoices, session notes, time sheets, etc.
- Plans, organizes, implements and evaluates public relations for the Community Music School in order to help more people understand the field of music therapy and to spread the word of the many programs offered through CMS.
- Effectively acts as a CMS Music Therapy Clinical Services team member.
- Collaborates with CMS staff.
- Effectively communicates with CMS colleagues, students and families.
- Is reliable and dependable.
- Complies with CMS faculty handbook.
- Complies with American Music Therapy Association Code of Ethics.
Music Therapy internship
- MT-BC (Music Therapist-Board Certified):
- Complies with rules and regulations of the Certification Board for Music Therapists.
- Maintains MT-BC status by completing 100 hours of continuing music therapy education credits or taking the Board Certification Examination, once every 5 years.
- Great Lakes AMTA
Experience (teaching, performing, presenting, therapy):
- Minimum of 2 years clinical experience in music therapy preferred but not required. Possesses competencies listed on the American Music Therapy Association’s Professional Competencies.
Required Application Materials
Cover letter and resume; include copy of certification(s), if available.
Applications will be reviewed as needed.
The work hour to be determined; some local travel may be required.
The Michigan State University Community Music School (CMS) is the outreach arm of the MSU College of Music and has two locations to serve our communities: CMS-East Lansing and CMS-Detroit.
Our mission is to provide a creative and welcoming environment where music experiences, education, and therapy services inspire individuals at all ability levels and stages of life to achieve their personal best. Founded on the belief that music dramatically enhances the quality of life, CMS offers opportunities for the study, appreciation and therapeutic use of music while nurturing the musical development of all. Financial aid is available to those with need.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend