Back to search results
Job no: 653298
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
Provost And Academic Affairs
Provost Evp For Academic Affairs 10050692
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Academic Management, Administrative/Business/Professional
The College of Social Science is the largest at MSU, offering more than one-fifth of the credit hours at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, including 32 undergraduate majors, 23 interdisciplinary undergraduate minors, 33 graduate degrees, 14 graduate specializations, and 24 certificate programs, both for credit and noncredit. More than 5,200 undergraduate and 1,200 graduate students are enrolled in eight departments, four schools, and six centers and institutes. Many of the Colleges programs are ranked in the nation’s top 30, with three ranked in the top 10 and two ranked number 1 nationally — African history and industrial organizational psychology. The online graduate program in Criminal Justice has held the 10th spot in the nation for the past four years. The College community is the most diverse at MSU, nearly 1 in 4 undergraduate majors and 1 in 5 graduate students are under-represented minorities. In 2018, 91% of the College’s undergraduates either found a full-time job or started graduate school within six months of graduating.
The Dean of the College of Social Science reports to the Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs. The Dean is the chief academic and administrative officer of the College overseeing academic programs, financial affairs, student success, personnel, program evaluation, academic innovation, community engagement and the physical plant of the College. The Dean will have oversight of a roughly $120M budget and College personnel totaling more than 1000.
The Office of the Dean coordinates the management of the College and the implementation of its strategic plan and direction. The Dean leads and encourages generation of new initiatives as appropriate, is responsible for the financial management and stewardship of the College’s resources, supports the work of constituents and committees to successfully recruit faculty and staff, engages in the tenure and promotion process, produces annual reports and oversees units that report directly to the Dean. MSU seeks a scholar and leader who supports the multi-disciplinary initiatives and offers consistent and transparent communication surrounding these initiatives, opportunities and challenges within the College of Social Science in order to forge a clear path forward.
The successful candidate for Dean of the College of Social Science will have a distinguished academic record that merits appointment as a tenured full professor at MSU in an appropriate College of Social Science discipline, with a record of sustained excellence in research, teaching, and service. In addition, this individual will have significant administrative experience in a comparably complex institution.
Additionally, to meet the challenges and opportunities awaiting the new Dean, the candidate should possess many of the following skills and experiences:
- Record of effective and inspiring leadership and an entrepreneurial ability for developing and implementing a vision that will raise the international ranking of the College;
- Established record of growing and supporting research excellence;
- Sound fiscal stewardship with exceptional budgetary and financial management skills, including experience making difficult and transparent allocation decisions and identifying promising new revenue streams;
- Exemplary record of advancing initiatives in support of diversity, equity and inclusion, and demonstrated appreciation for the value of diversity in all its forms among students, faculty, staff, and College leadership;
- Evidence of accomplishment or enthusiasm in fundraising and building external relationships;
- Demonstrated success in human resource management, including experience developing, mentoring and retaining talented faculty, staff and administrators;
- Nuanced understanding of the promotion and tenure process with the ability to set high, equitable standards for faculty;
- Ability to identify and nurture curricular and research opportunities across a wide range of disciplines, departments, and units; and
- Demonstrated commitment to undergraduate and graduate student success and achievement through building a learning environment that stresses academic quality, student engagement, sustainability, and global perspectives
To lead successfully, the next dean will be expected to demonstrate the following:
- Commitment to and appreciation of transparency, open communication, integrity, and trust-building;
- Commitment to accountability through clear, relevant and achievable goals and outcomes;
- Strong reliance on data to support strategy, policy, and practice;
- Dedication to the public good and appreciation for the value and impact of a land-grant institution; and
- Ability and desire to build collaborative, innovative partnerships across the University;
- Ability to be a passionate advocate for the College of Social Sciences and Michigan State University, both internally and externally
Required Application Materials
CV and letter of interest.
Please send all nominations, inquiries, and expressions of interest in confidence and electronically to:
Susan VanGilder, Partner
Beth McCarthy, Senior Associate
Storbeck Search & Associates
Review of Applications Begins On
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend