Assistant Director of Annual Giving-Telemarketing | Development Officer I
Back to search results
Job no: 650579
Work type: Support Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
Msu Alumni Office 10069589
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Administrative Professionals- AP, PR/Media/Graphics/Comm/Fund Raising, Union
The Annual Giving unit, with the MSU Alumni Office, manages all annual giving activities for all colleges and units including direct mail, telemarketing, online and email solicitations. The unit is seeking an Assistant Director to assists in the organization and operation of a comprehensive annual giving program by supervising its year-round student-run telemarketing program, which solicits donations from alumni and friends of MSU. Responsibilities will include managing and monitoring the use of the automated telemarketing system and supervision of the student staff and managers. The Assistant Director will develop and maintain positive relations with all internal and external customers (including collegiate development officers and Deans). Additionally, the Assistant Director will be responsible for researching and analyzing trends, results and new initiatives and report on each while developing new strategies to increase results for fundraising programs, and assisting with high-end annual gift donor solicitation. This position will require the ability to work evening hours and weekends.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
Directly reporting to the Senior Director of Development for Annual Giving, the Assistant Director of Annual Giving Programs will:
Ensure the Call Center Software Systems and Processes are Effective and Efficient
- Monitor and assess the data in the telemarking system to ensure that calling pools are accurate and up-to-date to reduce prospect fatigue.
- Oversee, coordinate and resolve all issues regarding telemarketing computer system, its operations and the data needed for effective calling.
- Develop and maintain pledge processing procedures and other supportive mechanisms to ensure timely responses to donor/alumni pledges, requests and concerns.
- Develop and maintain procedures to handle prospective donor requests for information and expressions of concerns relative to university programs, and to initiate written, telephone, or direct contact with such individuals, which will satisfy their requests and create an attitude conducive to giving to MSU.
- Make changes and enhancements to the telemarketing program to increase involvement and revenue from alumni, parents, students, friends and employees of the university.
Plan for and Assess the Results of the University Advancement Call Center
- Develop and implement long-range and immediate plans for increasing revenue and donor participation for appropriate audiences through a comprehensive telemarketing program.
- Plan and execute a comprehensive annual calendar for multiple telemarketing segments. Task will include establishing goals, segmenting audiences, updating the calling database including the appropriate scripts and information sheets, caller screens, acknowledgment letters, setting timelines, training student callers, and monitoring results.
- Develop written budget request for the telemarketing program, monitor expenditures according to approved budget limitations and maintain cost-efficiency of the telemarketing program.
- Conduct annual benchmarking with like-university programs and report statistical information, results, and effectiveness of MSU overall telemarketing programs and strategies.
- Serve as the liaison between college directors of development and their respective deans regarding telemarketing specific issues for respective college programs.
- Serve as the main liaison for telemarketing issues regarding vendors, systems, and inquiries from outside institutions.
Supervise the Student Staff of the Call Center
- Create and monitor the weekly work schedule of the student managers and supervisors.
- Ensure that student salary dollars are effectively spent and verify that managers and callers are adhering to the set schedules.
- Regularly evaluate and train all student managers.
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
- Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing a four-year degree program in communications, public relations, marketing, business or related field.
- 1-3 years of related and progressively more responsible and expansive work experience in professional fundraising or public relations
- Or combination of education and experience.
- This position requires the ability to work during evening hours and weekends.
- A bachelor’s degree in public relations, marketing, communication or related fields.
- Experience in training and supervision of student employees and/or volunteers.
- Ability to recognize importance of teamwork and foster a good working environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Experience with CampusCall calling software
Required Application Materials
Resume and Cover Letter
Work hours are 8 AM to 5 PM with some nights and weekends
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend