Specialist - Advisor-Continuing
Back to search results
Job no: 636182
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Social Science
Social Science Dean 10038766
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Continuing System Academic Staff, Advising/Counseling
The College of Social Science is seeking an International Advisor to advise international undergraduate students and to serve as the International Student Engagement Coordinator.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advise undergraduate students in the College of Social Science with a focus on international students (the College of Social Science offers a number of majors that attract a significant number of international students).
- Advise a diverse student population in the areas of major selection, course enrollment and program planning, career guidance, international student enrollment requirements, and related services.
- Work with academic advisors in Social Science Departments and Schools on international student advising and serve as the International Student Engagement Coordinator.
- Work with other university offices with responsibilities for academic and student support services for international students.
- Represent the College at university events and meetings, including admissions, orientations, and recruitment programs (in collaboration with the Office of Student Affairs in the College).
- Participate in the College of Social Science advisor network.
- Participate in professional development related to advising.
- Teach freshman seminar courses.
- Perform other duties as directed by the Assistant Dean for Academic and Student Affairs in the College.
This position reports to the Assistant Dean of Academic and Student Affairs and is a continuing system position.
Masters -College personnel, counseling, social sc
- Master’s degree required.
- Candidate must have strong interpersonal, communications, and organizational skills; cross-cultural understanding; sensitivity and commitment to diversity; ability to interpret and implement academic policies; and creative insight into meeting needs of international students.
- Excellent inter-cultural communication skills required.
- Candidate should have demonstrated competencies in working with international and multicultural populations; and knowledge of international student issues as evidenced by familiarity with cultural adjustment, study in other countries, and/or knowledge of geography and cultures.
- Knowledge of university academic policies and procedures and experience with electronic student information systems desirable.
- Previous advising experience desirable.
- Proficiency in one or more languages in addition to English desirable.
Required Application Materials
Cover letter and resume
Review of Applications Begins On
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend