Back to search results
Job no: 634101
Work type: Extension, Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
Michigan State University Extension
Extension Agriculture And Agribusiness 10058940
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Extension Program Associate-EXPA, Fixed Term Academic Staff, MSU Extension- EXPA, Advising/Counseling, Agriculture, Education/Training, Research/Scientific, Non-Union
Viticulture Production Extn Educator
The Agriculture and AgriBusiness Institute (AABI) of Michigan State University (MSU) Extension supports the grape industries in Michigan and is searching for a person to serve as an Extension Educator in the vibrant fruit region of northwest Michigan. This region has many small and mid-size vineyards and wineries. The Viticulture Production Educator will work with the grape and small fruit industries, while also networking statewide with the existing MSU Extension grape and fruit team to provide education and service to the Michigan grape and small fruit growers.
In this position, you will design, implement and evaluate educational programming that is research based, will address the needs of clientele groups and ensure dissemination of research-based information through various methods, including multi-media, personal education and written articles. You will provide growers and agri-business professionals with the knowledge to profitably produce agricultural products, contribute to the short and long-term viability of farms, and the economic well-being of Michigan citizens, while serving as an informational resource for Extension personnel and clientele.
Michigan State University Extension encourages self-motivated people trained in this area who are eager to work with fruit growers to help them improve the profitability, viability and sustainability of Michigan agriculture, to apply for this position. This is a full-time, fixed-term position, renewable on an annual basis.
This position will be based in Leelanau County and work across northern Michigan.
- Develop, conduct and evaluate innovative educational programs in grape production that meet current and projected needs.
- Serve as an information resource for viticulture personnel throughout Michigan, and work with statewide AABI workgroups and partners to evaluate the needs of clientele.
- Work collaboratively with MSU Extension staff to effectively plan, implement and evaluate programming efforts.
- Create and promote positive public relations for MSU Extension and the Agriculture and Agribusiness Institute.
- Author, produce and submit regular research-based educational materials.
- Develop and utilize appropriate media methods to communicate current and timely information, research results, and relevant industry updates, as well as a schedule of current and future activities.
- Actively participate in professional development opportunities.
- Gather and report programming outputs and impacts, to demonstrate program effectiveness and to guide future program priorities for MSU Extension, the Agriculture and Agribusiness Institute, and the work teams aligned with.
- Work to ensure that community needs assessments, program development and recruitment efforts include the engagement of Michigan’s diverse residents across race, gender, socioeconomic class, disabilities and other differences.
- Understand and implement Civil Rights and diversity, equity and inclusion policies and procedures.
- Other duties or projects as assigned by the Institute Director.
Masters -Horticulture, Entomology, Plant Patholog
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution in a field of study related to horticulture, entomology, plant pathology or crop science, must be earned by date of hire.
- Demonstrated ability and skill in educational program planning, implementation and evaluation.
- Knowledge of and experience with horticulture practices related to viticulture production.
- Ability to create and carry-out a project plan from development of initial concept to project completion and follow-up/impact assessment.
- Experience with marketing/promotion of educational programs.
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Experience and proven ability working productively with a team.
- Self-motivated with demonstrated ability to work independently in an office environment without daily supervision and/or coaching.
- Proficiency in use of technology (e.g. web research, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook for mail/calendaring, distance delivery/communication technology, etc.) for day-to-day work and educational program delivery, record keeping, reporting, team-based communications and overall management.
- Demonstrated success in, and commitment to, program development and delivery to diverse audiences/communities including but not limited to race, gender, socioeconomic class, disabilities and other differences.
- Proven ability in establishing and working with a diverse network of constituents and community members across race, gender, socioeconomic class, disabilities and other differences to assist with program development and outreach.
- Understanding of, and ability to implement, Civil Rights principles and compliance standards.
- Understands, supports, and fosters integration of diversity, equity and inclusion practices.
- Ability to lift and carry educational materials, equipment, etc. up to 25 lbs.
- Ability to regularly travel within the assigned area and surrounding communities, as well as occasional long distance travel outside the assigned area, is required in order to perform duties of this position.
- Transportation is the responsibility of the employee.
- Other skills and/or physical abilities required to perform duties of the position.
- Three-years’ experience in Extension program delivery or demonstrated ability and skill in educational program planning, implementation and evaluation (relevant experience acquired within the last 5-years preferred).
- Experience in securing and managing grant funds and resources.
Required Application Materials
Four (4) professional references, including at least two current or prior, supervisors.
This position is a full-time, fixed term end-dated appointment renewable annually based upon successful performance and continued funding.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend