Back to search results
Job no: 626192
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Education
Kinesiology - Ed 10014394
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Fixed Term Faculty, Education/Training, Non-Union
The Department of Kinesiology at Michigan State University (www.educ.msu.edu/kin) is world renowned for research, teaching, and outreach in pediatric kinesiology. Housed in the College of Education, the department serves over 1,300 undergraduate students and 100 graduate students. The online MS in Sport Coaching and Leadership was established in 2016 to further the teaching and outreach missions of the department and the Institute for the Study of Youth Sports. The degree currently features a strong curricular grounding in kinesiology and the sport sciences but seeks to expand curriculum in the area of sport administration. It runs on a twice-yearly cohort system and serves a broad range of graduate students with interests in the fields of sport leadership and sport coaching. Although the vast majority of instruction occurs online, the program also features an optional residency portion, where students visit campus for several days at the outset of their program to participate in intensive study and engage in networking. More information about this program can be found on the program website (education.msu.edu/kin/scl).
This appointment is for a fixed-term assistant professor, a 12-month appointment that is annually renewable, residing 100% in the Department of Kinesiology.
Description of Duties
- Instruct in online courses and advise students within the online master’s degree program in sport coaching and leadership.
- Develop curriculum and create new courses in sport administration for the online program.
- Recruit students to enroll in the online program.
- Supervise capstone projects and internships.
- Assist in organizing an annual summer conference tied to the program.
- Develop networks within and beyond the university to foster connections between students and potential employers.
- Perform service as appropriate to the department, college, university, profession, and community.
Doctorate -Sport administration, Kinesiology, or equivalent
- Demonstrated expertise in sport administration
- Evidence of excellence in college-level teaching, especially online instruction
- Evidence of knowledge and experience with online course and curriculum development
- Evidence of developing professional networks and fostering professional advancement of students in the field of sport administration
- Evidence of scholarly accomplishment in sport administration
Required Application Materials
Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, curriculum vitae, three references (provide names, addresses, emails, and phone numbers), and up to three recent examples of relevant scholarly work. Submissions should be made electronically through: careers.msu.edu, posting number 626192.
Questions regarding the position may be directed to the Search Committee Chair, Andy Driska, firstname.lastname@example.org, or to the Department Chairperson, Alan L. Smith, email@example.com. Review of applications will begin on January 15, 2020 and will continue until the position is filled.
Review of Applications Begins On
Michigan State University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. Michigan State University is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The university actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans and persons with disabilities.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend