Back to search results
Job no: 608553
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Human Medicine
Chm Flint 40000829
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Fixed Term Academic Staff, Research/Scientific
The Michigan State University-Hurley Children’s Hospital Pediatric Public Health Initiative (PPHI) in the Division of Public Health at Michigan State University seeks a Public Health Fellow. This position will be based in Flint, Michigan. The Public Health Fellow would complete a Master of Public Health degree at MSU, which is a Flint-based online program; conduct research as part of the PPHI; and work in the public health-focused Hurley Children’s Clinic at the Flint Farmers’ Market, teaching residents and medical students and providing direct clinical care.
A tremendous lesson we have learned in Flint is that we need to have a competent and capable workforce to identify and tackle pediatric public health issues. In January 2016, Michigan State University and Hurley Children’s Hospital formed the PPHI to address the Flint community’s population-wide lead exposure and help all Flint children grow up healthy and strong. The initiative brings together experts in pediatrics, child development, psychology, epidemiology, nutrition, toxicology, geography, education, and community and workforce development. PPHI is divided into five work teams: Child and Health Development, Nutrition, Exposure Assessment, Health Informatics, and Child Health Policy and Advocacy. These teams work closely with the PPHI Parent Partner Group and the PPHI Flint Kids Advisory Group.
The fellowship aims are to provide the Pediatrics-trained fellow with:
1. Post-doctoral training in the area of public health. The fellow will complete their MPH degree during the fellowship;
2. Working knowledge and experience on how to conduct and complete research in pediatric public health; and
3. Clinical pediatric experiences in the Hurley Children’s Clinic, which participates in many innovative public health programs and is co-located with the Flint Farmers’ Market.
▪ Completion of US ACGME-accredited Pediatrics residency program
▪ American Board of Pediatrics certified and/or board eligible pediatrician
▪ Strong communication and teaching skills
▪ Motivated learner
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter
- 3 Professional References
Review of Applications Begins On
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend