Dean of the Eli Broad College of Business
Michigan State University (MSU) seeks a dynamic, collaborative, and forward-looking leader to serve as the next dean of its internationally renowned Broad College of Business (Broad). The dean will join at an opportune time to partner with new university leadership and engage students, faculty, staff, alumni, and other key constituents in helping the college reach new heights by further enhancing our brand, the reputation of our people, and the rankings of our programs.
The ideal candidate must have a demonstrated record of fundraising, strategic leadership in higher education and the skills required to oversee a large, complex college. The person should have excellent communication skills and the ability to work effectively and build meaningful relationships across multiple constituencies. They should be a leading scholar and must possess a terminal degree and academic credentials that merit appointment with tenure at the rank of professor in one of the college’s departments.
The dean of Michigan State’s Broad College of Business will be presented with the opportunity to achieve the following professional and personal accomplishments:
- Join the senior leadership team of an outstanding national research university and be a catalyst for taking the Broad College to new heights
- Be a strong advocate for the college to university leadership;
- Work directly with a world-class faculty who are committed to exceptional accomplishments
in teaching and scholarship;
- Build on the significant success of prior fund-raising efforts as the university enters a new capital campaign where the Broad College is expected to play a significant role;
- Continue to enhance the reputation of the college, propelling it toward higher levels of national and international prominence;
- Build on the college’s global footprint and on cross-unit and cross-college collaborations to tackle the world’s most pressing problems;
- Continue to assemble, develop, and be supported by an exceptional team of staff professionals all committed to the success of the college;
- Ensure the recruitment, development, and placement of outstanding and motivated students;
- Oversee a diverse and professionally challenging portfolio of business education disciplines and be at the forefront of integrating new business education strategies and delivery platforms into the existing portfolio of programs;
- Participate in the global discourse on business education and engage with the network of worldwide alumni and corporate partners;
- Continue to build strong working relationships with the alumni network to ensure the next generation of students has the skillsets needed to be successful as they move into the
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Doctorate -Or Terminal Degree in the Discipline
Demonstrated record of scholarship, fundraising, and strategic leadership in higher education, and the skills required to oversee a large, complex college. The candidate must possess a terminal degree and academic credentials that merit appointment with tenure at the rank of professor in one of the college’s departments.
In addition, the ideal candidate should possess a record of accomplishment in the following areas:
- Demonstrated experience in working collaboratively with others to identify strategic goals, in implementing a plan to achieve desired outcomes, and in engaging and empowering others
to lead initiatives that advance a unit’s mission and vision.
- A commitment to shared governance and to listening to the variety of constituents represented in the college, including faculty, staff, students, alumni, donors, and industry.
- An appreciation for and understanding of academic excellence across all disciplines in the Broad College and its connections to the university broadly, to create an environment that encourages world-class academic research, high-quality teaching, and innovative initiatives.
- Success in the creation of an environment that ensures the recruitment, development, and retention of top-notch tenure-track faculty, fixed-term faculty, academic specialists, and staff members.
- A deep commitment to student success and an understanding of the curricular and co-curricular experiences that will prepare students to succeed after graduation.
- A record of effectively utilizing existing resources and identifying new resources that will advance a unit’s strategic objectives.
- The capacity to serve as the public face of the college, a record of engaging with external partners to gain insights and create mutually beneficial relationships, and the skills required to articulate the college’s vision to alumni and corporate partners.
- A demonstrated commitment to fostering an environment where everyone is welcomed, valued, respected, and engaged.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills and the ability to inspire others through authenticity and supportive relationships.
- Impeccable personal and professional integrity, strength of character, ethical qualities of the highest order, and alignment with the university’s mission and values.
- The ability to play a key role in university leadership, advocating for the college, forging strategic connections across colleges, and an ability to work collaboratively with other deans and campus units to further the goals and objectives of the college and Michigan State University.
Required Application Materials
All applications, nominations, and inquiries are invited. Applications should include, as separate documents, a CV or resume, a statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity and inclusion will advance MSU’s commitment to inclusive excellence and a letter of interest addressing the themes in this profile.
WittKieffer is assisting Michigan State University in this search. For fullest consideration, candidate materials should be received by March 22, 2024.
Application materials, nominations, and expressions of personal interest should be sent to:
John K. Thornburgh and Natalie Song at MichiganStateBusinessDean@wittkieffer.com
Candidates must also apply through Michigan State’s online job portal.
Review of Applications Begins On
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.