Controls Engineer Assistant - Engineering/Physicist Accelerator Assist
Back to search results
Job no: 914592
Work type: Support Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
Facility For Rare Isotope Beams
Facility For Rare Isotope Beams 10049299
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Engineers/Architects, Administrative Professionals- AP, Full Time (90-100%), Union
Controls Engineer Assistant
Michigan State University (MSU) operates the Facility for Rare Isotope Beams (FRIB) as a user facility for the U.S. Department of Energy Office of Science (DOE-SC), supporting the mission of the DOE-SC Office of Nuclear Physics. FRIB provides researchers with one of the most advanced tools of modern science to study rare isotopes, or short-lived nuclei not normally found on Earth. Hosting what is designed to be the most powerful heavy-ion accelerator, FRIB enables scientists to make discoveries about the properties of rare isotopes, nuclear astrophysics, fundamental interactions, and applications for society, including in medicine, homeland security, and industry. User facility operation is supported by the DOE-SC Office of Nuclear Physics as one of 28 DOE-SC user facilities. MSU’s nuclear physics graduate program is a top-ranked program nationally, according to U.S. News & World Report
This position affords an exciting opportunity to become part of the world-class FRIB Laboratory that enables unique discovery opportunities in nuclear science.
The Controls Engineer Assistant will assist Controls Engineers in designing, implementing, and maintaining EPICS-based control systems for FRIB.
- Develop and install and/or support the development and installation of control system software and hardware systems as required.
- Implement simple hardware and software control systems under the guidance of leadership or assist in implementing hardware and software control systems.
- Assist in maintaining hardware and software control systems.
- Assist in designing EPICS-based software control systems to optimize the total cost of ownership under the guidance of leadership.
- Maintain consistent and accurate records and documentation of maintenance tasks, results, and design processes, and assist in generating electronic documentation including drawings where applicable.
- Perform preventive maintenance, repairs, and parts management for assigned systems.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned which are reasonably within the scope of the duties in this job classification.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Basic ability and skill to program, test, and debug software applications.
- General knowledge of software version control systems such as Git, SVN, and/or CVS.
- Ability to install, test, and troubleshoot software systems and related hardware.
- Ability to write and maintain documentation.
- Skills to communicate effectively and credibly, both verbally and in writing with all audiences.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suites.
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
Knowledge normally acquired by completing a four-year college program in Systems or Computer Science; or Engineering or Physics, with coursework in Systems or Computer Science; up to one year of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in electronics, mechanical and/or electrical drafting and fabrication techniques, or computer programming in one or more languages used by the FRIB ; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two years of experience installing, updating, and troubleshooting moderately complex software systems
- Experience with software development and testing methodologies
- Experience with Linux operating system
- Experience with EPICS controls system
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Required Application Materials
Please provide a cover letter and resume.
Bidding eligibility ends December 5, 11:55 PM
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend