Assistant Professor of Art Education
The Department of Art, Art History, and Design (AAHD) at Michigan State University seeks a full-time, tenure-track Art Educator to lead the department's Art Education Area and to usher in and continue to develop our new 4-year art education program. This position will begin August 16, 2024.
We are re-envisioning Art Education and centralizing it within the Art Department. The ideal candidate will possess the expertise and acumen to reimagine and administrate a contemporary Art Education Program. This encompasses the design, execution, and ongoing enhancement of a curriculum that seamlessly integrates artistic principles with core values of equity, inclusivity, and social justice. They are responsible for fostering an environment where students not only master the skills and knowledge of art but also understand its potential as a tool for individual and societal change. This person works closely with faculty to ensure teaching methodologies resonate with the program's vision, emphasizing the promotion of critical thinking. We aim to establish an Art Education program that fosters connections with and supports our under-resourced communities, as well as those of surrounding schools. Additional responsibilities include management and administration of the Saturday Morning Art Program (SMART) for K-12 students; supervising and evaluating student engagement in regional school districts for state-level teaching accreditation requirements; advising; committee work; and scholarly and creative contributions to the department, college, and university.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- 2:1 course load in Art Education
- Administration & Management of art program for elementary-high school students
- Supervision of adjunct faculty and student assistants
- Oversee compliance of student portfolios and pre-service teaching experiences for state teaching accreditation
- Additional allocations in Research, Creative Activities, Service, and Outreach
- Reenvision and design of the overall Art Education curriculum at MSU, moving it from a 5-year to a 4-year course of study
- Oversee student engagement at regional schools off campus
- Develop strong relationships between regional public schools and AAHD
- Convey the significance and depth of Art Education, championing its value to diverse audiences, through participation in conferences, workshops, and relevant professional organizations
- Academic advising of Art Education majors
- Sensitivity to and understanding of students from diverse backgrounds with a wide range of abilities
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Doctorate -Art Education
- PhD, EdS, or EdD in Art Education or comparable degree with emphasis in Art Education by June 1, 2024.
- University-level teaching experience.
- Experience with preK-12 teaching.
- Active studio or scholarly practice.
Required Application Materials
Qualified applicants should submit:
- a cover letter (1-3 pages)
- current curriculum vitae
- teaching philosophy for Art Education (1-3 pages)
- 20 examples of personal artwork and image list
- 20 examples of student artwork and image list
- sample syllabi
- A 1-page summary of your philosophy of diversity, equity, and inclusion as it pertains to intellectual leadership in the areas of teaching/curriculum development, research/creative activities, service, outreach, advising, and/or administration. The statement should also include an explanation of related past or planned activities/endeavors as well as how the candidate will advance our goals of inclusive excellence. For more about MSU’s DEI efforts, see https://inclusion.msu.edu/. For more information about writing diversity statements, see https://cal.msu.edu/documents/cal-guidelines-for-the-writing-of-diversity-statements/
- the names and email addresses of 3 potential referees
Review of applications will begin January 12, 2024 and will continue until the position is filled. Applications must be submitted electronically to the Michigan State University Human Resources website http://careers.msu.edu. Posting number 912093.
For more information, contact Marsha MacDowell, Chair of the Search Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Persons with disabilities have the right to request and receive reasonable accommodation.
Review of Applications Begins On
AAHD Department Overview:
Our department seeks to integrate the history and practice of art and design into the MSU community, through teaching, research, and public engagement. We further the mission of the arts to deepen understanding of the human condition.
We inspire rigorous paths of study through individual expression and collaboration that focus in and across disciplines. Our faculty and students make meaningful contributions to and/or challenge existing paradigms in art, art history, and design. Through education and encouragement of broad dialogue within and about the arts, we promote positive and sustainable change in our global community.
As a department within a land-grant institution, we work “to democratize higher education and expand its opportunities based on merit, not social class.” Our creative work and scholarship are sensitive to the intersections between diverse contemporary contexts and their histories. The department provides an empowering environment where the inherent worth and dignity of all people are respected and celebrated. We recognize the value of diversity, which includes differences of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexuality, age, religion, politics, and socio-economic status. We extend this social definition to include a diversity of aesthetics and modes of scholarship and creative practice.
Link to Mission and Values on AAHD website: https://art.msu.edu/about/
The College of Arts & Letters recognizes that only an academic and organizational culture, which actively seeks out and strengthens diverse voices and perspectives among its members results in true excellence. The College of Arts & Letters is particularly interested in candidates of all backgrounds who are committed to the principle that intellectual leadership is achieved through open access and pro-active inclusion.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.