Extension Program Worker/ Livestock Laborer
Back to search results
Job no: 911241
Work type: Extension, Support Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
Michigan State University Extension
Extension Community Food And Environment 10058942
EXPA- Ext. Prog Assoc
15.00 per hour
Location: In State, Oakland
Position Summary(Basic Job Function)
In alignment with the mission, programs and initiatives of MSU Extension, delivers research-based information to program participants through various methods and/or provides support and coordination of MSU Extension programs.
Unit Position Summary
Michigan State University Extension is committed to fostering a welcoming and inclusive organization, which requires all staff to contribute towards a vision for success. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are central to our work, regardless of title or position within the organization. This means that all staff at MSU Extension are dedicated to the following:
- We work together to ensure that programming is delivered to diverse audiences, produces equitable impacts for all participants, and demonstrates partnership and inclusion for all groups.
- We embrace that it is everyone’s job to create a culture that promotes diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging.
- We ensure that every team member is prepared with the skills and resources to contribute to our welcoming and inclusive culture.
- We foster inclusion by recognizing and valuing diverse perspectives, skills, experiences, and work to create equal access to programming for communities.
- We commit to continuous learning for diversity, equity, and cultural competency, in order to achieve inclusive excellence.
- We understand that diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential elements to our work and are vital to the organizational culture and programmatic success of MSU Extension.
- We embrace a culture of understanding, coaching and feedback towards achieving a vision of success for the entire organization and its staff.
- Together we will achieve success and we commit to these goals in our work, continued education, and ongoing efforts.
This position will be supervised by MSU Tollgate's Livestock manager and will conduct animal chores as directed and keep written record of all animal care activities. Tollgate livestock consists of sheep, horses, goats, and poultry.
Position may work in all weather. Applicant must be aware of the safety and welfare of the livestock in their care, themselves, and other users of the site.
Position Term: Temps can work two (2) nine (9) month terms with a week break in service in between and at the end of the second term terminate for three (3) months or switch to an on-call.
- Comfortable working with a variety of livestock
- Ability to follow written and oral directions
- Able to learn and observe bio safety protocols
- Ability to keep good written records of all animal care activities
- Ability to recognize signs of distress in various livestock species
- Understanding of and ability to implement Civil Rights principles and compliance standards.
- Ability to handle livestock of all sizes, lift and carry educational materials, equipment, etc. up to 25 lbs.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in use of technology (e.g., web research, Zoom, Qualtrics, Microsoft Teams, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook for mail/calendaring, distance technology, etc.).
- Other skills and/or physical abilities required to perform duties of the position.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Required Application Materials
Resume, Cover Letter, 3 Professional References
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now