Based at either DMC or East Lansing, this position is hybrid and requires in-person days. It will provide career advising and resources to medical students at all three MSUCOM campuses (East Lansing, Detroit Medical Center, and Macomb University Center), as well as those completing clinical rotations at 23 base hospitals across the state. Anticipated travel is minimal and student advising sessions that are not located at base site would take place via Zoom. Advising services will be offered through a combination of in-person, zoom, email, and phone interactions.
Key responsibilities of the Specialist position include the following:
• Facilitate both 1:1 and group career advising services to students at all stages of the 4-year curriculum
• Advising students on career path exploration, development, and selection
• Aid students in the development of their residency application materials
• Support students navigating the various complex match processes
• Make referrals as appropriate, especially to mental health wellness counselors for students with personal, emotional, behavioral, or family issues, and to disability resources staff for students with disabilities
• Assist students in their understanding of college policies and procedures
• Develop and deliver group presentations/seminars relevant to career and professional development
• Collect and organize relevant data to guide best practices in career advising for medical school
• Provide effective electronic and web-based services
Performance of the job will entail becoming familiar with the curriculum and its policies and procedures. The specialist will maintain a regular schedule of availability to meet with students as needed. The specialist will balance defined processes with an individualized approach to help students identify performance obstacles and develop strategies to improve their learning outcomes and monitor student performance and initiate contact with students experiencing academic difficulty. Collaboration with course faculty, administration, and Personal Counseling/Health Promotion is expected. Additionally, the specialist will assist with the creation of academic support initiatives; promoting student awareness of available resources and avenues of support; documenting advising sessions; participating in assigned meetings; and other duties as assigned.
All required documents and application components must be submitted to be considered for the position. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
• The successful candidate must have at minimum a Master in Education, Educational Counseling, or relevant field.
• Experience in working with adult learners.
Required Application Materials
(2) Cover letter
(3) List of three references. The search committee will not contact references without first notifying the candidate.
(4) Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) statement. Submit a description of your past experiences and contributions to inclusive excellence including a brief description of your ideas for future initiatives that you would like to implement to support MSUCOM's commitment to inclusive excellence.
Review of Applications Begins On
Remote Work Statement
MSU strives to provide a flexible work environment and this position has been designated as remote-friendly. Remote-friendly means some or all of the duties can be performed remotely as mutually agreed upon.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.