Research Associate-Fixed Term
Back to search results
Job no: 898480
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Agriculture And Nat Resources
Plant Soil And Microbial Sciences 40000781
FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Education/Training, Research/Scientific, Fixed Term Academic Staff, Full Time (90-100%), Non-Union
The Department of Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences at Michigan State University is seeking a highly motivated individual to fill a Research Associate position to assist in conducting investigations into the etiology, epidemiology, population genetics, and mitigation measures of Fusarium species causing celery “meltdown” and other diseases of celery.
Duties will also include:
- Coordinating with graduate students as needed and overseeing undergraduate students who may assist with these projects
- Compiling and analyzing data and summarizing results for grant reports, manuscripts, extension articles, scientific publications, and PowerPoint presentations is expected
- Performing experiments independently in the lab and conducting field and greenhouse work under sometimes physically challenging conditions
- The appointment will be initially for one year with the possibility of extension based on continuation of funding
MSU has a vibrant plant science community comprising of more than 150 faculty members conducting a wide range of plant research spanning the lab-to-field continuum in both natural and agricultural ecosystems. PSM is a multi-disciplinary department with faculty appointed in the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (CANR; http://www.canr.msu.edu/
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Doctorate -Plant Pathology
Doctorate in Plant Pathology completed within 6 months of the date of hire
- Familiarity with use of Whole Genome Sequencing (WGS) to conduct species characterization and phylogeny of local, regional, and global populations, and in silico or in vivo assays to describe host-pathogen interactions and identify genes on the host that confer disease tolerance
- Demonstrated use of various diseased plant sampling techniques and capacity to develop molecular biology tools to rapidly diagnose and identify microorganisms causing diseases.
- Proven experience with molecular biology, field and greenhouse work, writing scientific publications and other technical reports, and preparing PowerPoint presentations for lay and scientific audience
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter
- Names and Contact Information for 3 Professional References
Summary of Physical Demands
- Lift and carry up to 50 lb. bags of fertilizer, seeds, and equipment parts.
- Walk through uneven field plots, potentially in inclement weather
Summary of Health Risks
- Spray or mix organophosphate or carbamate insecticides.
- Wear a respirator (does not include paper dust mask worn for comfort).
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend