Extension Program Worker/ Summer Research Technician
Back to search results
Job no: 851433
Work type: Extension, Support Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
Michigan State University Extension
Extension Agriculture And Agribusiness 10058940
EXPA- Ext. Prog Assoc
16.00 per hour
Position Summary(Basic Job Function)
In alignment with the mission, programs and initiatives of MSU Extension, delivers research-based information to program participants through various methods and/or provides support and coordination of MSU Extension programs.
Unit Position Summary
Michigan State University Extension is committed to fostering a welcoming and inclusive organization, which requires all staff to contribute towards a vision for success. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are central to our work, regardless of title or position within the organization. This means that all staff at MSU Extension are dedicated to the following:
- We work together to ensure that programming is delivered to diverse audiences, produces equitable impacts for all participants, and demonstrates partnership and inclusion for all groups.
- We embrace that it is everyone’s job to create a culture that promotes diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging.
- We ensure that every team member is prepared with the skills and resources to contribute to our welcoming and inclusive culture.
- We foster inclusion by recognizing and valuing diverse perspectives, skills, experiences, and work to create equal access to programming for communities.
- We commit to continuous learning for diversity, equity, and cultural competency, in order to achieve inclusive excellence.
- We understand that diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential elements to our work and are vital to the organizational culture and programmatic success of MSU Extension.
- We embrace a culture of understanding, coaching and feedback towards achieving a vision of success for the entire organization and its staff.
- Together we will achieve success and we commit to these goals in our work, continued education, and ongoing efforts.
Summer technicians help conduct lab and field research trials in tree fruit systems. Research projects mainly fall under the disciplines of entomology, plant pathology, and horticulture. Must be able to work independently, think critically, communicate with fruit growers and researchers, compile and analyze data.
Maintain Spotted Wing Drosophila (SWD) colony, Check insect traps weekly in the 5 county area, Monitor weekly for SWD in 5 county area, Rate for tree fruit diseases, Tree training and harvesting high density sweet cherry, tart cherry, and apple systems.
Position Term: Temps can work two (2) nine (9) month terms with a week break in service in between and at the end of the second term terminate for three (3) months or switch to an on-call.
- Understanding of and ability to implement Civil Rights principles and compliance standards.
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity, knowledge, and use of appropriate approaches, skills and techniques, which reflect an understanding and awareness of social, cultural and economic diversity of the target population served.
- Ability to lift and carry educational materials, equipment, etc. up to 25 lbs.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Transportation is the responsibility of the employee.
- Proficiency in use of technology (e.g., web research, Zoom, Qualtrics, Microsoft Teams, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook for mail/calendaring, distance technology, etc.).
- Other skills and/or physical abilities required to perform duties of the position.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Required Application Materials
Resume, Cover Letter, 3 Professional References
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now