Food Safety and Nutrition Technician | Business Process Professional
Back to search results
Job no: 846052
Work type: Support Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
Michigan State University Extension
Extension Community Food And Environment 10058942
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Administrative/Business/Professional, Agriculture, Education/Training, Health Care Professional, Health Care Support, Office/Clerical Support, Administrative Professionals- AP, Full Time (90-100%), Union
Food Safety and Nutrition Technician
Michigan State University Extension is committed to fostering a welcoming and inclusive organization, which requires all staff to contribute towards a vision for success. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are central to our work, regardless of title or position within the organization. This means that all staff at MSU Extension are dedicated to the following:
- We work together to ensure that programming is delivered to diverse audiences, produces equitable impacts for all participants, and demonstrates partnership and inclusion for all groups.
- We embrace that it is everyone’s job to create a culture that promotes diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging.
- We ensure that every team member is prepared with the skills and resources to contribute to our welcoming and inclusive culture.
- We foster inclusion by recognizing and valuing diverse perspectives, skills, experiences, and work to create equal access to programming for communities.
- We commit to continuous learning for diversity, equity, and cultural competency, in order to achieve inclusive excellence.
- We understand that diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential elements to our work and are vital to the organizational culture and programmatic success of MSU Extension.
- We embrace a culture of understanding, coaching and feedback towards achieving a vision of success for the entire organization and its staff.
- Together we will achieve success and we commit to these goals in our work, continued education, and ongoing efforts
Responsible for gathering, analyzing, and documenting business processes associated with departmental activities with the goal to optimize available processes and technologies to assist in the management of the department’s assets. All projects are intended to increase efficiency and to meet strategic goals and objectives.
The Food Safety and Nutrition Technician will work in collaboration with the MSU Product Center Services Coordinator to provide direct service to MSU Product Center clients. These services include Process Authority Review, creation of Nutrition Facts labels, food safety and processing plans. This position will interact with professors in Food Science and Human Nutrition to access technical information. This position will also provide back-up support for general client services.
This position will be located at the MSU Product Center in Okemos, MI.
This position is a full-time, end-dated appointment renewable annually based on continued funding.
- Plan, design, streamline, and document business processes to improve business activities.
- Reviews, analyzes, and makes recommendations for modifying applications, workflows, or business processes including identifying defects, and works with testing and key stakeholders to validate business/systems requirements have been met to support the organization’s business needs.
- Conducts task analysis and interacts with system users to identify opportunities for gains in efficiencies.
- Serve as the project manager for prioritized projects which improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the operations of the department.
- Develops and maintains end user documentation related to business process or system changes; provides training as needed to support end users through business process or system change.
- Facilitate communication throughout the organization on projects, including delivering end user training sessions on how to complete activities within the software systems.
- Acts as a liaison between the business and technical teams to translate and communicate complex business problems into technical solutions.
- Trouble shoot issues and conduct user acceptance testing prior to rolling improved systems into production
- Assists in the implementation of application, workflow, or business process modifications, including new application releases or new business processes.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Operates somewhat independently, with minimal supervision, ensuring that unit goals are met in a timely manner.
- Represent MSU Extension in a manner that reflects collegial connection with the community, the research and knowledge of the University, and the goodwill of MSU Extension.
- Actively participate in a variety of professional development opportunities to attain and retain program knowledge.
- Has an understanding and commitment to equal access and opportunity and to diversity and inclusivity.
- Understands and implements Civil Rights policies and compliance.
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing a four-year college degree program in a business-related field or in a field which corresponds to the particular department of employment; three to five years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in office procedures and administration, or in performing responsibilities related to the operational activities of the employing unit; experience with word processing, database, spreadsheet, presentation software and/or desktop publishing, web page software; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Experience and proven ability working productively with a team.
- May require valid vehicle operator's license where needed to perform duties of the position.
- Other skills and or physical abilities required to perform duties of the position.
- Position requires or will require prior to the completion of the probationary period: knowledge of word processing, data analytic software, spreadsheet development and/or presentation software, use of email and the Inter/Intranet.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Required Application Materials
- Current resume/CV.
- Cover letter.
- Four (4) professional references including at least two (2) prior or current supervisors.
Generally 40 hours Monday through Friday, with some nights and weekends needed
Description of End Date
This is an off-dated position funded for one year from date of hire, with possible extension contingent upon funding renewal.
Bidding eligibility ends March 21, 11:55 PM
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend