Research Assistant I
Back to search results
Job no: 849823
Work type: Support Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Agriculture And Nat Resources
Fisheries And Wildlife 10002344
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Research/Scientific, Administrative Professionals- AP, Full Time (90-100%), Union, Remote-Friendly
The Aquatic Landscape Ecology Lab, in partnership with the Michigan Department of Natural Resources, is looking for a Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Database Manager to play an important role in collecting, managing, and creating spatial data and associated metadata that supports a wide range of aquatic ecology projects occurring for rivers, inland lakes, and the Great Lakes. Examples include development of environmental predictors in support of fish distribution modeling in streams and inland lakes; synthesis and management of watershed data for stream and inland lake assessments; and summarization of environmental conditions for Great Lakes waters including habitat and anthropogenic stressor data. These data will be used by the successful candidate to develop web viewers and web mapping applications to support aquatic conservation and management decision making. The successful candidate will have an opportunity to enhance their skill sets and work experiences in a supportive team environment.
- Develops and populates spatial datasets (point, vector, and raster) to help inform aquatic conservation questions.
- Develops and maintains web viewers and web mapping applications.
- Designs and performs spatial analyses to support the needs of internal and external partners.
- Manages databases including user access, security, and updates.
- Provides training and troubleshooting and resolves geospatial issues for researchers, graduate students, and collaborators for GIS and database software.
- Ensures data integrity and generates metadata following proper Federal Geographic Data Committee standards.
- Maintains, develops, and updates Standard Operating Procedures related to GIS and database products.
- Coordinates with web mapper developers to implement online viewing and analytical capabilities of GIS products.
- Coordinates with MSU IT to transition from a physical server storage to a cloud-based server.
- Maintains a list of data deliveries to internal and external partners as well as published datasets.
- Contributes to scientific presentations and publications.
- Completes other duties as assigned within the scope the role.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Expertise in the use of GIS (e.g., Esri ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, and associated extensions, etc.) and development geo databases.
- Expertise in development of web viewers.
- Familiarity and knowledge of scripting and programming languages (e.g., R, Python, SQL, Ruby).
- Skilled in cartography with proven experience creating standardized map products.
- Working knowledge and familiarity with web mapping applications.
- Ability to publish and share data, coding, and software in online repositories (e.g., GitHub, Dryad).
- Ability to work effectively in teams and independently with minimal supervision while supporting multiple projects, shifting priorities, and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to solve complex problems.
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing a four-year college degree program in the specific field of GIS, Geography, Computer Science, Natural Resources Management, Biology, Environmental Studies, or related science fields; one to three years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in standard laboratory procedures and safety requirements and performing analytical and research techniques in developing web mapping applications, SQL Server or related databases, managing and maintaining large geospatial databases and using GIS to analyze and summarize data and create maps; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. The position may require special licensing or certification in the field related to the area of employment.
- M.S. degree from a four-year college degree program in GIS, Geography, Computer Science, Natural Resources Management, Biology, Environmental Studies, and related field and 5 years of relevant experience in a professional setting.
- Familiarity with hydrography datasets including National Hydrography Dataset (NHD) products and the Water Boundary Data set (WBD).
- Experience managing and working with large geospatial datasets and databases.
- Knowledge of aquatic ecosystems, biology, and research.
- Excellent communication skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Required Application Materials
CV, letter of interest, and names and contacts of 3-5 professional references.
Description of End Date
This is an off dated position funded for one year from the date of hire with possible extension contingent upon funding renewal.
Remote Work Statement
MSU strives to provide a flexible work environment and this position has been designated as remote-friendly. Remote-friendly means some or all of the duties can be performed remotely as mutually agreed upon.
Bidding eligibility ends on 3/21/2023 at 11:55 PM
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend