University Management Analyst
Back to search results
Job no: 836548
Work type: Support Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
Provost And Academic Affairs
Institutional Research 40001247
Salary commensurate with experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Administrative/Business/Professional, Administrative Professionals- AP, Full Time (90-100%), Union, Remote-Friendly
Michigan State University Institutional Research (IR) supports strategic planning initiatives, communicates key data to university leadership, and acts as a campus wide analytical resource. IR values individual and group differences and encourages applicants who will contribute to a culture of inclusion on campus.
IR seeks a University Management Analyst who can independently plan, direct and coordinate development of reports and analysis to support university policies, procedures, goals, and initiatives related to faculty and academic staff affairs. This position will partner closely with the Office of Faculty and Academic Staff Affairs. The successful candidate will have strong analytical and data management skills to summarize information for executive management and deans. Daily activities would include creating a robust faculty and academic staff affairs data dashboard/portfolio, as well as producing customized reports on annual and point-in-time faculty and academic staff employment data.
The University Management Analyst should also look for opportunities to leverage insight from data with leadership such as deans and chairs. The end goal of the University Management Analyst will be to improve the institution’s overall ability to respond to faculty and academic staff affairs data related requests and to create and sustain college and department-level access to critical faculty demographic data, answer important institutional questions around faculty demographics, discover patterns, and communicate insight to value.
- Conduct data analysis of faculty and academic staff affairs employment data to support college/units in long- and short-range planning and/or to support internal decision making by leadership and colleges
- Support IR staff with data management needs by producing faculty and academic staff affairs data that are ready to be analyzed
- Create a variety of faculty and academic staff data reports at the request of the leadership team and other units as needed.
- Research and respond to various ad hoc data requests from units, colleges, and university leadership
- Compile and disseminate information from both internal and external data sources to determine factors affecting faculty and academic staff employment data
- Works collaboratively across university areas to support faculty and academic staff affairs data initiatives
These are the skills and behaviors that contribute to success and effectiveness of the role:
- A dedication to analytical thinking, approaching institutional problems, drawing conclusions, and developing customized analyses and presentations
- In-depth knowledge and experience using and applying analytical software, database management system software, database reporting software, database user interface and query software, and data mining software.
- Expert ability to collect data using a variety of methods, such as data mining and hardcopy or electronic documentation study.
- Basic statistical ability.
- Ability to manage multiple activities in a deadline-oriented environment; highly organized, flexible, and rigorous attention to detail.
- Ability to use logic to calculate data; efficiently construct a database or scrutinize the form of a question.
- Ability to work with data of varying levels of quality and validity.
- Ability to produce data in a clear and understandable manner meeting user requirements.
- Ability to work effectively with multiple internal and external customers.
- Ability to take a leadership role on projects and with users/clients.
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
- Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing one to two years of post-bachelor's degree work, such as a Master's degree in Accounting, Business, Human Resources, Economics, Higher Education, Statistics, Business Analytics, computational science, a social science discipline or a related field;
- More than eight years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in accounting, finance, budget development and administration, and application of information systems and technology; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A strong track record demonstrating success in collaborative research projects
- Excellent communication skills including, presenting, editing, and writing as well as accuracy and attention to detail required
- or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Prior experience working in a higher education environment.
- Master’s degree-Economics, Higher Education, Statistics, Business Analytics, computational science, a social science discipline, or related field
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Expertise in creating data visualizations with ability to use data tools to present data clearly to non-technical audiences.
- Exceptional quantitative and qualitative analytical skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Experience with full stack development, ETL and databases
- Ability to use data retrieval and manipulation, and expertise in statistical tools such as SAS, SQL, STATA, R, D3, Python, and data visualization tools such as Tableau.
- Proven excellence in program management and project management.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Required Application Materials
Three professional references
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
Remote Work Statement
MSU strives to provide a flexible work environment and this position has been designated as remote-friendly. Remote-friendly means some or all of the duties can be performed remotely as mutually agreed upon.
Bidding Eligibility ends 1/17/2023 at 11:55 PM
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend