The Eli Broad College of Business at Michigan State University is seeking applicants for an academic advisor (12-month, 100% time, fixed-term). The selected individual will serve in a joint position between Undergraduate Academic Services (UAS) and the Burgess Institute for Entrepreneurship & Innovation. The position is initially for one year, and renewable annually based on performance and funding.
The successful candidate will work with a team of advisors in the College’s office of Undergraduate Academic Services (UAS) to provide academic advising services to prospective students, undergraduate business-preference, and business students (domestic and international) including academic program planning, education abroad, career pathway to major alignment, student engagement referrals, and related topics.
The selected individual will be the lead academic advisor for MSU students pursuing the Entrepreneurship & Innovation (E&I) Minor and will report jointly to the Sr. Associate Director of UAS and the Burgess Institute’s Director of Student Success & Advising.
The E&I Minor is an option for all undergraduate students at MSU. The Minor requires 15 credits of coursework (where 9 credits are highly customizable from a lengthy list of approved courses) and two high-impact experiences.
Responsibilities will also include:
- Coordination and execution of services supporting MSU students pursuing the E&I Minor (i.e. course selection, navigating the creation of E&I experiences, updating student records; proactive outreach to keep students on track to minor completion);
- Coordination and execution of services to support MSU faculty who are supporting students engaging in E&I experiences;
- Participation in the development and implementation of activities/projects related to recruitment and student success;
- Attending meetings at the institute, department, college, and university level;
- Participating in all New Student Orientation (NSO);
- Entrepreneurship & Innovation minor degree clearance;
- Coordinating/communicating with other college and unit advisors to ensure consistency of messaging and ensure advisors have all the information they need to best advise their students;
- May include facilitation of a one credit freshman seminar (UGS/ESHP) emphasizing entrepreneurship, innovation and/or creativity in business.
The position will interface regularly with faculty and academic professionals throughout the College and across campus.
UAS supports and encourages a flex schedule which incorporates day/time flexibility as well as work from home opportunities. Flex schedules are coordinated amongst the team each semester and are expected to be predictable and reliable.
For more information:
Broad Undergraduate Academic Services, please visit https://broad.msu.edu/undergraduate/advising/
Burgess Institute for Entrepreneurship & Innovation, please visit https://entrepreneurship.msu.edu/
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Masters -Higher Education, Counseling, Communication
Well prepared candidates will demonstrate:
- Formal work experience in supporting undergraduate students in an advising or comparable capacity (this may include internship or practicum experience).
- Demonstrated skills in the Entrepreneurial Mindset: Proactiveness, Emotional Intelligence, Problem Solving, Storytelling
- Must be able to interpret and implement academic policies and procedures; demonstrated competency in the use of current technology.
- Excellent communication (spoken and written), organizational, interpersonal and decision-making skills required.
- Evidence of contributions to cross-cultural understanding/sensitivity and commitment to diversity.
- Evidence of successful & maintained positive collaborations with multiple stakeholders around issues related to advising and student success.
Masters degree in higher education, counseling, communication, or business.
Familiarity with MSUs software and advising systems (Campus Solutions, ESAF, D2L, and Degree Navigator).
Facilitation and teaching experience.
Commitment to helping others, tolerance for ambiguity, and sense of perspective.
High personal accountability.
Required Application Materials
Qualified applicants should include:
Cover Letter expressing why you are interested in the position
Contact information for 3 Professional References
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
Review of Applications Begins On
Remote Work Statement
MSU strives to provide a flexible work environment and this position has been designated as remote-friendly. Remote-friendly means some or all of the duties can be performed remotely as mutually agreed upon.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.