Research Assistant I
Back to search results
Job no: 815964
Work type: Support Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Agriculture And Nat Resources
Plant Soil And Microbial Sciences 40000781
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Education/Training, Research/Scientific, Administrative Professionals- AP, Full Time (90-100%), Union
The Vegetable and Floriculture Pathology program in the Department of Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences at Michigan State University is seeking a highly motivated individual to work as a member of the pathology research program. This position will support research and extension efforts in understanding pathogen and disease management issues in Michigan vegetable and floriculture productions systems. The individual will work as a member of a team including professors, research assistants, graduate, and undergraduate students. The position will include work in the office, laboratory, field, and greenhouse. Office activities will include statistical data analysis, technical report writing, creation of effective presentations, effective communication with MSU extension educators and collaborators within and outside of the state. Laboratory activities will include microscopy, pathogen isolation and propagation, and molecular testing. Field and greenhouse activities will include designing, coordinating, applying pesticide treatments, maintaining, and evaluating and data collection for research trials.
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing a four-year college degree program in the specific field of research employment or other related science fields; one to three years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in standard laboratory procedures and safety requirements, performing analytical and research techniques in the biological sciences related to research being performed to include field plot technique, agronomic practices; knowledge of statistical analysis and computer application; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. The position may require special licensing or certification in the field related to the area of employment.
- Master of Science degree in Plant Pathology, Plant Sciences or Biological Sciences within 6 months of hire
- Demonstrated technical writing skills for scientific and applied publications
- Experience in public presentations
- Ability to conduct statistical analysis with SAS, R, or Agriculture Research Manager (ARM)
- Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency with Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Adobe Acrobat Pro, and SigmaPlot
- 1-2 years experience with field research and fungicide efficacy trials
- Experience with MI crops, e.g. celery, onion, asparagus, cucurbits
- Experience with MI vegetable pathogens, e.g. Fusarium, Pythium, Phytophthora capsici, Stemphylium vesicarium, Pseudoperonospora cubensis
- Experience with Burkhard and rotorod spore traps
Three or more years work experience in standard laboratory procedures and safety requirements, performing analytical and research techniques in the biological sciences related to research being performed to include field plot technique, agronomic practices; knowledge of statistical analysis and computer application; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Prior experience with fungal and oomycete pathogens including isolation and identification; molecular techniques including DNA extraction, PCR, and sequencing. Possession of a valid vehicle operator’s license and a Michigan Commercial Pesticide Applicator license
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter
- 3 Professional References
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
Description of End Date
This is an off-dated position funded for one year from the date of hire with renewal possible contingent upon funding.
Summary of Physical Demands
- Lifting 50lb bags of fertilizer/chemicals from floor into truck tailgate
- Carrying 30lb backpack sprayer a distance of 100 feet or more
- Carrying 30lbs of equipment up one flight of stairs to storage area
Summary of Health Risks
- Wear a respirator (does not include paper dust mask worn for comfort).
- Spray or mix organophosphate or carbamate insecticides.
Bidding eligibility ends on 9/27/2022 at 11:55 PM
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend