Reuse and Recycling Assistant
This position will process, receive, sort, move, and store surplus University items and material based on condition and usability. Evaluate and price surplus items for sale. Prepare sales floor for public sale days by stocking indoor and outdoor retail spaces. Direct, oversee and train student, temporary, and on-call employees. Record and track inventory using a computer. Provide excellent customer service and operate point-of-sale system for customer transactions. Assess, measure, describe, photograph, and research surplus items for online sales and marketing. Divert material from landfill employing highest-use model of reuse and recycle. Clean and organize public and non-public spaces.
This position will engage in high performing, leading edge practices, valuing people, partners and stewardship. At IPF, we are committed to fostering an equitable, inclusive culture; engaging and hiring a diverse workforce.
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
- One year experience in a recycling, surplus or related operation.
- Working knowledge of the tools, equipment and processes used in recycling or surplus operation.
- Attainment of a Michigan chauffeur license.
- Possession or attainment of an MSU forklift operator's permit prior to the completion of the applicable probation or trial period.
- Frequent lifting of 26 to 75 pounds and occasional lifting of over 75 pounds.
- Experience or demonstrated interest in recycling or sustainability.
- Customer service experience.
- Previous experience with reselling used items or working in a resale business.
- A creative and innovative lifelong learner with the ability to communicate effectively with a diverse population.
- Able to problem solve within a collaborative team environment.
- Ability to understand different perspectives while utilizing expert knowledge of the technical operations of the job.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Required Application Materials
Please submit a current resume detailing relevant experience and education and a cover letter explaining your interest in this position.
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 7:30am to 4:00pm, Wednesdays from 9:30am to 6:00pm, and may require after-hours, weekend and holiday work.
SURPLUS AND RECYCLING CTR
Summary of Physical Demands
Lifting surplus goods from floor and placing in carts. Lifting and dumping recycling containers. Up to 3 hours per day. Up to 75 lb.
Carrying surplus and recyclable items weighing up to 50 lbs for up to 2 hours per day a distance of up to 200 ft.
Pushing and pulling arts of surplus and recycling through buildings to loading docks or trucks parked in outside areas. Pushing large trash containers to loading docks. Up to 2 hours per day using carts or dollys. Up to 300 lb. a distance of 200 ft or more.
Climbing ladders or stairs to reposition items for storage. Up to 1 hour per day.
The Bidding Eligibility ends on 09/06/2022 at 11:55 PM