Ast Prof/ Asc Prof/ Prof: Director of the Late Clinical Experience
Back to search results
Job no: 801899
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Human Medicine
Chm West Michigan 10022803
FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: Grand Rapids
Categories: Education/Training, Health Care Professional, Health Care Support, Fixed Term Faculty, 1/2 Time (50-64.9%), Non-Union, Remote-Friendly
Director of the Late Clinical Experience
The Michigan State University College of Human Medicine’s Office of Academic Affairs invites applications for a position of Director of the Late Clinical Experience. In 2016, the College of Human Medicine (CHM) implemented an innovative new curriculum, envisioned to be responsive to the needs of students and faculty in a new technological era and a new medical landscape. This new curriculum, the Shared Discovery Curriculum, provides integrated content organized around patient complaints and concerns. It is an experience-based curriculum where medical students learn by doing. The Shared Discovery Curriculum uses an innovative assessment model where a Student Competence Committee reviews each student’s progress in each of the Human Medicine courses across a range of competencies.
As part of the Shared Discovery Curriculum, the college has created clinical experiences starting soon after students matriculate and ongoing throughout their four years of study. The Late Clinical Experience comprises the third and fourth year of medical school and includes clerkships in the primary specialties and elective rotations and occurs in the community campuses across Michigan (Marquette, Traverse City, Grand Rapids, Lansing, Flint, Midland, Detroit, and Southeast Michigan). The Late Clinical Experience also includes the Advanced Skills and Knowledge courses which span the entire last two years.
Reporting to the Assistant Dean for Clinical Experiences, the LCE Director is responsible for management and coordination of the programs and policies of the CHM Late Clinical Experience including:
- Chair the LCE Curriculum Development Group meetings and other stakeholder meetings as appropriate
- Engage with clinical communities regarding the educational activities of students.
- Assist with development/revision of clerkship and elective experiences for the LCE
- Serve as course director and lead faculty for the Advanced Skills and Knowledge courses, including:
- oversight of new or revised educational activities
- organization of the contributing faculty group who meet regularly
- engage with community campuses in the implementation of these courses
- work with the Office of Assessment to ensure alignment of course and assessment components, and satisfactory completion of grading activities
- serve as instructor of record for Advanced Skills and Knowledge courses, working within the Shared Discovery Curriculum’s Student Competence Committee framework
- As a course director, work closely with the other HM course directors to ensure alignment of processes and structures
- Collaborate with the Assistant Dean for Clinical Experiences and the Associate Dean for Community Academic Programs in planning development/ revision of curriculum in response to student outcomes and stakeholder data
- Engage with students, preceptors, and clinical communities or sites when concerns occur
- Work with leadership of the SDC and of clerkships/electives/community campuses to develop and implement policies for LCE
- Work with JIT staff to ensure LCE curricular materials are accessible to all who need them.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
The successful candidate will have a medical degree including MD or DO, teaching experience with multiple educational modalities, experience working with faculty teams, and demonstrated effectiveness working with learners at a variety of performance levels. In addition, experience in any of the following areas is desirable: curriculum design, learner assessment, and program evaluation; program level management; experience as a clerkship or course director; experience in faculty development; experience in medical education scholarship; and demonstrated collaborative approach to academic governance. Academic department and rank will be determined based upon qualifications and experience.
Required Application Materials
Resume and Cover Letter
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
Remote Work Statement
MSU strives to provide a flexible work environment and this position has been designated as remote-friendly. Remote-friendly means some or all of the duties can be performed remotely as mutually agreed upon.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend