The MSU Center for Statistical Training and Consulting (CSTAT) (https://cstat.msu.edu/) and the College of Veterinary Medicine (https://cvm.msu.edu/) invite applications for a Statistician with anticipated start date in Fall 2022. This is a joint appointment between CSTAT and the College of Veterinary Medicine who seek to expand the clinical trials program. Candidates must have a Ph.D. in Statistics, Biostatistics, or a quantitative STEM field by the start of the appointment or show evidence that they will receive their degree within six months of that start date. Several research topics are of interest, for example study design for clinical trials, trial data analysis, or genomic/genetic and proteomics data science related areas.
Successful candidates will (1) collaborate with the College of Veterinary Medicine faculty on grant proposals, clinical trials, and publications; (2) apply statistical, computational, and scientific expertise to the design, implementation, research data management and analysis, interpretation, and reporting across a range of research studies; (3) participate in developing or delivering CSTAT workshops to the general University audience. This is a continuing system appointment on a 12-month basis, subject to satisfactory completion of a 12 month probationary period and continued funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Doctorate -Statistics, Biostatistics, or quantitati
- The job requires a Ph.D. in Statistics, Biostatistics, or a quantitative field;
- minimum of 2 years of experience in statistical consulting, research, and/or data analysis;
- excellent programming skills in a statistical software, e.g. R or Python; a strong background in statistical modeling; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong interpersonal skills and written and oral communication skills are essential.
- Two or more years of experience using at least one major statistical software program (e.g. R, Python, SAS, STATA, or others);
- experience with randomized trial designs;
- ability to evaluate data quality using common statistical software programs;
- track record demonstrating success in collaborative research projects and report writing;
- experience preparing instructional materials on statistical methods, tools, and practices, or experience teaching audiences how to apply them;
- highly self-motivated, excellent organizational and project management skills.
Required Application Materials
The application should contain a brief cover letter explaining the applicant’s interest in the position as described above, previous research experiences and future plans, a curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references (letters will be requested as needed).
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
Review of Applications Begins On
Remote Work Statement
MSU strives to provide a flexible work environment and this position has been designated as remote-friendly. Remote-friendly means some or all of the duties can be performed remotely as mutually agreed upon.
CSTAT is a unit within the Office of Research and Innovation at MSU and has a proud tradition of collaborating with internationally renowned researchers. CSTAT provides employees with a diverse, challenging set of duties that foster learning new skills and knowledge and a collegial environment where employees regularly share information, ideas, resources, and solutions to problems. CSTAT invests in employees by providing on-the-job training, mentoring, and coaching; and providing financial support for professional development.
College of Veterinary Medicine is a home to outstanding clinical, research, and extension faculty on the MSU campus. It is home to outstanding clinicians and teachers and houses state-of-the-art facilities for clinical research. It has been in existence since 1855 and is a destination for outstanding clinical care of animals, excellent faculty in teaching and research. The CVM acts purposefully to attract and retain talented students, faculty, and staff who reflect the diversity of the populations we serve.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.