The DOE Plant Research Laboratory (PRL) is seeking to fill the position of a Refrigeration Mechanic 1. The PRL is a research intensive MSU unit conducting research on plants extensively using environmental plant growth chambers and incubators that allow plant growth under controlled conditions. Maintaining these growth chambers and incubators represents the bulk of the job duties. Extensive water cooling is required for these growth chambers and maintaining the cooling tower and its chemistry is another important job duty. In addition to incubators, the PRL has numerous freezers and refrigerators including cascading systems that require maintenance and repair. Much of the work conducted at the PRL requires the use of sterilization systems and their maintenance and troubleshooting are part of the job duties.
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
Completion of a high school education or an equivalent combination of technical training and experience. Five years experience in the trade ; or one year Trades Helper II and demonstrated ability to independently perform the duties and responsibilities of the classification; or completion of the apprenticeship program. Considerable knowledge of methods, materials, tools, equipment, occupational hazards, and safety precautions of the trade. Considerable knowledge of applicable building codes, rules, and regulations (local, state, and federal). Possession of a valid vehicle operator's license. Must furnish own tools. Frequent lifting over 75 pounds.
1. Water treatment to maintain water chemistry of cooling towers.
2. Maintaining cooling towers including, associated pumps and annual cleaning
3. Diagnosing and repairing cascading refrigeration systems such as -80 freezers.
4. Maintaining and repairing air cooled and water-cooled plant growth chambers, their digital controls, compressors, including troubleshooting of all associated electronics.
5. Diagnosing, trouble shooting and repairing routine lab equipment such as deli-fridges, refrigerated centrifuges, incubators, shakers, storage freezers and refrigerators.
6. Maintaining, troubleshooting, and repairing steam powered sterilizers.
7. Limited custom projects, such fabrication of equipment tables, plexiglass boxes, LED lighting to assist researchers.
8. Installation of new HVAC systems in specialized laboratory spaces.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
Bidding eligibility ends on 6/28/2022 at 11:55 PM