Back to search results
Job no: 781483
Work type: Support Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
Honors College Dean 10041408
Pay Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Position Summary(Basic Job Function)
This is a temporary or an on-call position. Provides professional support. Responsibilities may include general business, science, medical, agricultural or other professional support functions. Term: Temps can work two (2) nine (9) month terms with a week break in service in between and at the end of the second term terminate for three (3) months or switch to an on-call. On-Call allowed to work 1039 hours in any twelve (12) month period.
Unit Position Summary
- Increase the quality and the quantity of earned media with the business community and other targeted audiences through news releases, news conferences, ghostwritten articles and other PR tools.
Tactic 1: Develop an infrastructure to more efficiently handle queries and pitches:
- Develop list of target media.
- Develop a unit-level newsroom website, providing a richer go-to resource for media.
- Manage editorial calendar for web and social media.
Tactic 2: Create promotional news stories that highlight students and faculty in the MSU Honors College. Proactively pitch at least one story each month to target media outlets (trade press).
- Develop “media rich,” mini-Web sites/electronic media kits to promote at least five core areas of overall MSU expertise annually.
- Monitor Cision (or similar subscription service) for media opportunities and attempt to connect media with appropriate faculty/staff/administrative leadership.
- Write columns and/or articles for targeted media.
- Promote Honors College successes and programs to key influential audiences.
Tactic 1: Develop topics/themes, write, and oversee the production content that includes platforms within website and social media.
Tactic 2: Develop and implement a plan to communicate with this audience on a monthly basis (for example, create a unit-wide electronic newsletter or contribute to existing newsletter or website that serves this audience) as well as daily on social media.
- Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing a four-year college degree program in Journalism, Marketing, Advertising, Public Relations, or related field
- Experience in managing marketing, advertising, and other creative services
- Experience in editing and publication production, in both electronic and hard copy media
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Professional writing for web and social media management
- Demonstrable project management, team leadership, delegation, and collaboration skills that deliver quality work, on time, and on budget, utilizing both internal (MSU) and external (contract) resources
- Demonstrable attention to detail in all forms of communication
- Demonstrable success in working with digital, print and social media
- Excellent and demonstrable writing, communication, and editing skills
- Experience in marketing communications and outreach
- A track record of energetic and proactive ownership of your job goals, verifiable through contact with professional references
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Required Application Materials
Resume and at least three work samples.
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
35 - 40 hours a week
Remote Work Statement
MSU strives to provide a flexible work environment and this position has been designated as remote-friendly. Remote-friendly means some or all of the duties can be performed remotely as mutually agreed upon.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend