The Sempere Lab in the Campus-wide Precision Health Program at Michigan State University is seeking is seeking a Research Assistant I to be a key part of our research team. The NIH-funded Sempere Lab is expanding and looking for a talented individual to join a dynamic and cooperative group with graduate and masters students, medical students, radiology residents, lab technicians, and animal technologists. The Sempere lab investigates various aspects of the pathophysiology of the breast and pancreas using a multi-disciplinary approach, including molecular biology and cellular biology studies to identify microRNA functions and targets, to genetic engineering of animal models of breast cancer and pancreatic cancer to assess microRNA role within specific cellular compartments of tumor microenvironment, and molecular pathology with innovative human tissue-based multiplex ISH/IHC assays to implement diagnostics applications of microRNA biomarkers in a in clinical setting.
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
- To conduct in vitro cell culture studies
- General molecular biology assays (e.g. flow cytometry, cell isolation) and expression analysis in tissue and cell samples to characterize microRNA expression and function in pre-clinical models and clinical specimens as well to characterize novel CRISPR-generated animal models of cancer
- Assist with rodent procedures and colony maintenance.
- Assist the PI in overseeing and conducting laboratory research
- Assist in writing manuscripts and grant proposals.
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing a four-year college degree program in a related science field; one to three years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in basic laboratory techniques; or an equivalent combination of education and experience are preferred but not required; the job may require specialty certifications, approvals, or training; may require successful completion/continued maintenance of accessibility standards.
Good oral and written communication skills.
• Good organizational skills.
• Attention to detail and thoroughness in record keeping.
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
• Broad understanding of equipment and technologies used in Biomedical Research.
• Willingness to learn new laboratory techniques and procedures.
• Experience working with viral delivery systems (e.g., lentivirus, adenovirus) and/or rodents (mice and/or rats) would be an asset.
• Master’s degree in Cancer Biology, Molecular Biology, Genetics or related discipline with relevant lab experience (preferably 3-5 years) is preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
Required Application Materials
Please submit a cover letter outlining your research background and research interests and how these factors fit with current research in the Sempere Lab, a recent CV, and names and contact information of three references.
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
For more information about Dr. Lorenzo Sempere’s research, please refer to https://precisionhealth.msu.edu/research/sempere-lab/ and https://cancer.msu.edu/faculty/sempere-lorenzo
Summary of Health Risks
Exposure to human blood, serum, tissue and other body fluids; and materials covered under Universal Precautions.
Work with animals or unfixed animal tissue.
Bidding eligibility ends 11/30/2021, at 11:55 PM