Back to search results
Job no: 694368
Work type: Support Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Social Science
Social Work 10038782
Pay Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Position Summary(Basic Job Function)
This is a temporary or an on-call position. Provides professional support. Responsibilities may include general business, science, medical, agricultural or other professional support functions. Term: Temps can work two (2) nine (9) month terms with a week break in service in between and at the end of the second term terminate for three (3) months or switch to an on-call. On-Call allowed to work 1039 hours in any twelve (12) month period.
Unit Position Summary
This position will work with Kinship caregivers of children, community providers, School of Social Work faculty, child welfare professionals, and students, and volunteers
The Foster Care Navigator is responsible for providing direct support and guidance to current and prospective kinship care providers.
- Communicate in a clear and supportive manner.
- Engages in phone, social media, and outreach events with current and prospective kinship caregivers and service providers.
- Listen in an empathetic manner; determine the needs of kinship families and respond in a non-judgmental, professional manner.
- Coordinates with other internal and external stakeholders of the KCRC as required.
- Maintains ongoing relationships with organizations, individuals and providers that assist the program, and renews and expands those relationships.
- Works with Program Director and program staff to determine family needs and utilizes developed networks and resources to support those needs.
- Ensures proper documentation of all activities and use of program resources as set forth in the agency policy and procedures.
- Maintains accurate files of all mandatory documents and tracking forms used to support the kinship navigator services and the required data collection.
- Develops and maintains program resource database of individuals, organizations and providers that may assist children and families served by the program (Businesses, Civic Groups, Schools, Neighborhood Associations and Faith Groups).
- Share personal kinship parenting experiences in a professional manner with the public.
- Communicate issues or concerns that kinship families may face when parenting children with disabilities and health care needs.
- Research answers for the Kinship Caregiver through resource contacts, informational websites, and service providers.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Qualification - Kinship Care Navigators must have experience providing kinship care to a kin related child age 17 or under.
Candidates must have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to connect people to key resources and referrals.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Successful kinship caregiving experience.
- Demonstrated ability to support and encourage other families.
- Knowledge of child welfare policy and procedures.
- Involvement in local kinship care community and groups.
- Ability to utilize technology in order maintain current records using a web-based customer relationship management (CRM) system.
- Travel and representation to groups, resource fairs, and events where kinship families are likely to be in attendance.
- A valid Michigan driver’s license.
- Central Registry Clearance documenting that there is no record of child abuse or neglect.
- Internet Criminal History Access Tool (ICHAT) check and a National and State
- Sex Offender Registry check.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Required Application Materials
Cover letter that briefly describes you experience as a Kinship Caregiver to a relative child age 17 or under and other relevant experience.
Reference names and contact information.
Applications will be reviewed as needed.
For more information about this position, please contact Beth Lindley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend