Extension Program Worker
Back to search results
Job no: 692743
Work type: Extension, Support Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
Michigan State University Extension
Natural Features Inventory Msue 10058661
EXPA- Ext. Prog Assoc
Pay Commensurate with Experience
Location: In State
Categories: Temporary, Research/Scientific
Unit Position Summary
Working closely with the principal investigators, technicians will plan field activities, conduct surveys, and ensure accurate data collection.
Duties will include evaluating potential sampling sites, conducting bird surveys, conducting insect surveys, sampling vegetation and habitat characteristics, cleaning and maintaining equipment, processing specimens, and compiling and entering data into spreadsheets.
Technicians will focus on surveys for birds and insects, with target group/species depending on position and projects, but may include surveys for raptors, marsh birds, songbirds, endangered butterflies (e.g., Poweshiek skipperling, Karner blue), bumblebees, and moths.
Field sampling will regularly require long hours and early morning and nighttime work schedules under adverse working conditions (e.g., hot and humid weather, long and difficult hikes in wetlands, and biting insects).
Work over some holidays and/or weekends, travel to study sites throughout Michigan, and the use of a personal vehicle required (mileage reimbursed at standard rate).
- Proven ability in establishing and working with a diverse network of constituents and community members across race, gender, socioeconomic class, disabilities and other differences to assist with program development and outreach
- Understanding of and ability to implement Civil Rights principles and compliance standards
- Familiarity with Michigan and/or Midwestern ecosystems
- Experience conducting bird and/or insect surveys
- Ability to identify common Michigan plant species
- Capability to navigate via map, compass, and GPS
- Reliable transportation, comfortable using watercraft (small boats, kayaks), and working alone in remote locations
- A willingness to learn and ability to work both independently and as part of a team
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Early morning and late night
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now