Position Summary(Basic Job Function)
This is a temporary or an on-call position. Provides professional support. Responsibilities may include general business, science, medical, agricultural or other professional support functions. Term: Temps can work two (2) nine (9) month terms with a week break in service in between and at the end of the second term terminate for three (3) months or switch to an on-call. On-Call allowed to work 1039 hours in any twelve (12) month period.
Unit Position Summary
The Pediatric Public Health Initiative seeks an hourly on-call Research Assistant to work with Dr. Lauren O’Connell in Flint, MI. Dr. O’Connell’s research interests focus on 1) the impact of toxic stress on young children and the developing brain, 2) the design and assessment of interventions to promote early child development through effective positive parenting behaviors within the medical setting, and 3) developmental behavioral pediatric resource utilization and practice patterns.
Under the general supervision of Dr. O’Connell, the research assistant will support all aspects of study planning, implementation, and dissemination. Activities supported by the research assistant may include: grant writing, development of study protocols and manuals of procedures, institutional review board submissions, recruitment and tracking of study participants, data collection and entry, creation and management of databases, basic data analysis, preparation of reports, and coordination with study participants and staff. Some research or quality improvement activities may be clinic-based.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Development of protocols and manuals of procedures
• Submit protocols and materials for IRB review
• Recruit, consent, and follow-up with study participants
• Collect and enter data into an electronic database (may include chart review, interviews, survey design and distribution, focus groups, etc)
• Create and manage databases
• Perform data cleaning procedures and assist with basic data analysis
• Prepare agendas and reports
• Attend trainings and project meetings
• Other duties as needed for study completion. This may include clinic-based research or quality improvement work.
• Perform other duties as assigned
This posting offers an on-call hourly position of 12-19 hours per week located in Flint, MI. Hourly rate at $15-$20/hr.
• Some college credits
• One to three years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience
• Basic knowledge of web-based communication, competent keyboarding, high level of comfort with development of documents, spreadsheets, and presentations, including basic proficiency in the following software: Microsoft Office Word, Microsoft Office Excel, Microsoft Office Outlook, Microsoft Office PowerPoint
• Able to work independently in an organized and efficient manner
• Excellent oral and written skills with the ability to write and conduct daily communications
• Experience with collection, management, and analysis of data
• Experience writing grant proposals
• Experience writing and editing manuscripts
• Experience with statistics software (e.g. STATA, SAS, SPSS, R, etc)
• Experience with task or project management software
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
Required Application Materials
Summary of Health Risks
May work in a pediatric medical office. PPE will be provided and required.