Specialist - Outreach-Fixed Term
Back to search results
Job no: 654221
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Social Science
Social Work 10038782
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Fixed Term Academic Staff, Education/Training
The MSU School of Social Work is dedicated to educating students for ethical, competent, responsive, and innovative social work practice, and to conducting and disseminating high quality research that improves the well-being of the most vulnerable in society. Our teaching, research, and outreach synergistically promote social justice, positive change, and solutions to the problems facing diverse individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities. More than 650 students are enrolled in our CSWE-accredited BASW and MSW programs, and PhD program.
The Specialist- Outreach, also known as the Kinship Care Resource Director, will facilitate activities designed to provide relatives who are raising child(ren) of family member(s), with the help and support they need to support and preserve placement. The KCRC Director performs a variety of highly complex and responsible administrative and program support activities. The position ensures program objectives, and policies are clear and properly implemented. Candidates must know of community resources such as: health, financial and legal services, support groups, and training; establish or maintain greater self-sufficiency and long-term stability to care for child(ren) of family member(s); and engage in public speaking and other outreach activities to promote resources available to relatives caring for relative children. The Director is responsible for coordination of community services acting as a liaison, oversight of kinship navigator activities; communication, technology, and Information sharing through webinar, social media, support groups, newsletters, and group services by maintaining and providing support for kinship caregiver support groups.
The specific duties and responsibilities of the Director of the Kinship Care Resource Center include the following:
- Administers the day-to-day activities and operations of the Kinship Care Resource Center
- Develops annual program plan; establishes appropriate guidelines
- Ensures that the operations and activities are in conformance to and in compliance with funding guidelines, and University policies and procedures.
- Provide training to kinship caregivers, service providers, and general public audiences about the resources and needs of kinship caregivers;
- Schedules, markets, and facilitates Kinship Care Resource statewide outreach efforts including, kinship training sessions, information dissemination, newsletter development, networking with provider agencies, and educating kinship care providers
- Trains and supervises kinship care navigators, students, and volunteers.
- Develops and maintains an up-to-date resource database
- Networks with information and referral agencies
- Develops active presence for the KCRC through multiple stakeholder groups (kinship care support group network, foster care and adoption navigators, community collaboratives, etc..)
- Compiles and analyzes data; prepares reports for applicable agencies; publishes and disseminates information.
- Resolves issues and ensures program objectives and policies are properly implemented.
- Compiles, maintains, and reviews program files and records.
- Coordinates with the broader community, including the local child welfare offices, and other educational/service partners; assists in participant follow-up activities and project evaluation reports.
- Represents the School of Social Work (SSW) in a variety of meetings in support of the Kinship Care Resource Center Program; maintains liaison with applicable agencies; travels to and represents the SSW at regional and State meetings. Directs and supervises the work of others; reviews approves, and conducts performance appraisals; directs and participates in the selection, training, and development of staff.
- Performs related duties similar to the above in scope and function as required.
- Attend all required School meetings and activities
Masters -Social Work
- Master’s degree in social work, or related field. LMSW preferred.
- Two-year's experience program planning/administering services to kinship care families or a similar population.
- Supervisory experience and exceptional interpersonal skills a must.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the needs of kinship caregivers in the State of Michigan.
- Be able to work within a team environment while exhibiting excellent interpersonal skills;
- Conduct experienced, thoughtful, and thorough analysis of outcome and assessment data from a variety of information sources;
- Effectively relate to a diverse population that includes a wide range of ages, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds;
- Analyze problems, determine effective solutions, and take independent action for successful results;
- Analyze data and prepare comprehensive written and oral reports;
- Work effectively under pressure, prioritize and meet multiple deadlines;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the performance of required duties;
- Research, develop and deliver training; coordinate and schedule training sessions and conferences;
- Identify program presenters;
- Direct, supervise, and formally evaluate the work of others;
- Experience following HIPPA guidelines and Child Abuse/Neglect Mandated Reporting laws;
- Experience with Salesforce or similar CRM platforms.
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter
- Name and contact information for three references
Review of Applications Begins On
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend